Brevard County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Brevard County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Brevard County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||January 6, 1844|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Immigration
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Obituaries
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Brevard County, Florida Record Dates
Brevard County Courthouse
400 S Street
Titusville, FL 32780
Formerly St. Lucie County Name changed to Brevard 6 Jan 1855
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1868,
land records from 1871, divorce and court records from 1879,
probate records from 1917 and military discharge records from 1919;
County Health Department Superintendent has death rec from 1985
and birth records; some records prior to 1885 destroyed
1844--Brevard County was created from Mosquito County and was first called St. Lucie. It was renamed to Brevard County 6 January 1855. Mosquito County was renamed to Orange County in 1845.
County seat: Titusville 
The county was named for Judge Theodore W. Brevard, an early setter, and state comptroller. The County Seat is Titusville and the county was created March 14, 1844. The County is located in the East Central area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Some records prior to 1885 have been destroyed.
Places / Localities
The following web sites may have additional information on Brevard County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Brevard County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
NARA Ships Passenger Lists
These passenger lists cover:
1834 - 1897 Immigration of Russians to the United States
1/12/1846 -12/31/1851 Irish Famine
1850 - 1897 Germans to the United States
1855 - 1900 Italians to the United States
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Brevard County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
- Brevard County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1883 - Brevard County Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- Brevard County World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict (distantcousin.com)
- Brevard County Korean War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Brevard County, FL Vietnam War Casualty List (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Brevard County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Early Florida Newspapers at the Florida State Library USGenWeb
- U.S. Hidden Ancestors Obituaries
- USGenWeb Obituaries Project Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties
Probate records are held by the Brevard County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Brevard County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
- Florida State Archives $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries
Brevard Genealogical Society
PO Box 1123
Brevard Heritage Council
870 Indionola Dr.
Merritt Island, FL 32953
North Brevard Historical Society and Museum
301 South Washington Avenue
PO Box 5265
Titusville, FL 32783
Telephone Number: 321-269-3658
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
- Brevard Genealogical Society
- Genealogical Society of North Brevard
- Genealogical Society of South Brevard
- Brevard County Libraries Genealogy Collections
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Brevard County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The USGenWeb Project: The FLGenWeb Project: Brevard County
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Brevard County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Brevard County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc
- Brevard County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Brevard County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Brevard County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Bradford County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.