Brazil, Santa Catarina, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Santa Catarina, Civil Registration, 1850-1999
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Flag of Santa Catarina|
|Location of Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Santa Catarina, Registro Civil|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues With This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?
This collection will include records of births, marriages, deaths and indexes created by various civil registration offices in the state of Santa Catarina from 1850 to 1999.
Additional images will be published as they become available.
Reading These Records
These records are written in Portuguese. For help reading these records see the following:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Brazil, Santa Catarina, Civil Registration, 1850-1999.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The information in these records usually include the following:
For details about the contents of these records and help using them see the wiki article: Brazil Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records).
How Do I Search This Collection?
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Municipality
- Select Civil Registration Office
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, Santa Catarina, Civil Registration, 1850-1999. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
To learn more about using the information in civil records, view this lesson for free: Brazil Beginning Research Series Lesson 2: Civil Registration Records
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- A boundary change could have occurred and the record of you ancestor is now in a neighboring. Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Brazil Church Records are also a good substitute when civil records of births, marriages, and deaths cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records.
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Brazil.
Known Issues With This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Brasil, Santa Catarina, Registro Civil, 1850-1999." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Cartórios no estado de Santa Catarina (city registration offices, Santa Catarina).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.