Brazil, Santa Catarina, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Santa Catarina, Catholic Church Records, 1714-1977
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Flag of Santa Catarina|
|Location of Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Santa Catarina, Registros da Igreja Católica|
|Arquidiocese de Florianópolis (Archdiocese of Florianopolis), Santa Catarina|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection will include baptism, marriage, and death records created by various Catholic parishes and dioceses in the state of Santa Catarina from 1714-1977. Some of these records have been indexed and are searchable as part of this collection. Additional images and indexed records will be published as they become available.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
For help reading these Portuguese records see the following:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Brazil, Santa Catarina, Catholic Church Records, 1714-1977.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For additional details about these records and help using them see the wiki article: Brazil Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Municipality
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, Santa Catarina, Catholic Church Records, 1714-1977. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth if that is undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, Now What?[edit | edit source]
- A boundary change could have occurred and the record of your ancestor's records could now be in a neighboring city, provinces, or region
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Brazil Emigration and Immigration
- Civil Registration records are also a good substitute when birth, marriage, and death records can’t be found or are unavailable. Check out Brazil Civil Registration and Brazil Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records for more information
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Brazil.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.