Brazil, Santa Catarina, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Santa Catarina, Catholic Church Records, 1714-1977
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Flag of Santa Catarina|
|Location of Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Santa Catarina, Registros da Igreja Católica|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues With This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection will include baptism, marriage, and death records created by various Catholic parishes and diocese in the state of Santa Catarina from 1714-1977. Some of these records have been indexed and are searchable as part of this collection.
Additional images and indexed records will be published as they become available.
Reading These Records
For help reading these Portuguese records see the following:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Brazil, Santa Catarina, Catholic Church Records, 1714-1977.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
For additional details about these records and help using them see the wiki article: Brazil Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
How Do I Search This Collection?
You can search the index or view the images or both. Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Municipality
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, Santa Catarina, Catholic Church Records, 1714-1977. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, Now What?
- A boundary change could have occurred and the record of you ancestor's records could now be in a neighboring city, provinces or region
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Brazil Emigration and Immigration
- Civil Registration records are also a good substitute when birth, marriage, and death records can’t be found or are unavailable. Check out Brazil Civil Registration- Vital Records and Brazil Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records) for more information
New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records.
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Brazil.
Known Issues With This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Brasil, Santa Catarina, Registros da Igreja Católica, 1714-1977." Database with images. FamilySearch. https://FamilySearch.org : 4 September 2018. Arquidiocese de Florianópolis (Archdiocese of Florianopolis), Santa Catarina.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.