Brazil, São Paulo, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Brazil, São Paulo, Catholic Church Records
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|São Paulo, Brazil|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Flag of San Paulo|
|Location of São Paulo, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, São Paulo, Registros da Igreja Católica|
|Paróquias Católicas, São Paulo (Catholic Church parishes, São Paulo)|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
These records are in Portuguese. This collection includes baptism, marriage, and death records created by various Catholic parishes and diocese in the state of São Paulo from 1640 to 2012.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in Portuguese. For help reading them see:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Brazil, São Paulo, Catholic Church Records, 1640-2012.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For additional details about these records and help using them see the wiki article: Brazil Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Column Headings[edit | edit source]
|Nome do baptisando||Name of the baptized|
|Data do nascimento||Date of baptism|
|Data do baptisado||Date of Baptism|
|Loga do nascimento||Place of birth|
|Naturalidade do paes||Place of origin|
|Casados na Igreja de||Parents place|
|Nome do padre que baptizou||Name of the priest who baptized|
|Averbaçõs||Marginal note, Observations|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Municipality
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, São Paulo, Catholic Church Records, 1640-2012. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
What If I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For?[edit | edit source]
- A boundary change could have occurred, and the record of you ancestor is now in a neighboring provinces or regions. Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Or your ancestor immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Brazil Emigration and Immigration
Civil Registration records are also a good substitute when baptism, marriage, and burial records can’t be found or are unavailable. For example, check:
New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Brazil.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.