Brazil, Rio Grande do Norte, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Rio Grande do Norte, Catholic Church Records
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Flag of Rio Grande do Norte|
|Location of Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Rio Grande do Norte, Registros da Igreja Católica|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection will include baptism, marriage, and death records created by various Catholic parishes and diocese in the state of Rio Grande do Norte from 1788 to 1967.
Additional images will be published as they become available.
Reading These Records
These records are written in Portuguese. For help reading these records see the following:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Brazil, Rio Grande do Norte, Catholic Church Records, 1788-1967.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The information in these records usually include the following:
For additional details about these records and help using them see the wiki article: Brazil Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
How Do I Search This Collection?
When searching: As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships.
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Municipality
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, Rio Grande do Norte, Catholic Church Records, 1788-1967. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing this Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, What Now?
- A boundary change could have occurred and the record of you ancestor is now in a neighboring. Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Brazil Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records) records are also a good substitute when birth, marriage, and death records can’t be found or are unavailable
- Your ancestor might have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas Brazil Emigration and Immigration cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
Consult the Brazil Record Finder to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Brasil, Rio Grande do Norte, Registros da Igreja Católica, 1788-1967." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Paróquias Católicas, Rio Grande do Norte (Catholic Church parishes, Rio Grande do Norte).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.