Brazil, Piauí, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Piauí, Civil Registration, 1875-2014
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Location of Piauí, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Pernambuco, Registro Civil|
|Piauí State Archives, Teresina|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues With This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes digital images of civil registrations of birth, marriage, and death from civil registry offices (cartórios) in the Piauí State, Brazil from 1875-2014.
Additional images will be added to this published collection as they become available.
Reading These Records
For help reading these Portuguese language records see the following:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Brazil, Piauí, Civil Registration, 1875-2014.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
For details about the history of these records and help using them see the wiki article: Brazil Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records).
How Do I Search This Collection?
You can search the index or view the images or both. Before using this collection it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Municipality
- Select Civil Registration Office
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, Piauí, Civil Registration, 1875-2013. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Brazil Emigration and Immigration may be useful if your ancestors immigrated to or from another country
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
Consult the Brazil Record Finder to find other records.
Known Issues With This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Brasil, Piauí, Registro Civil, 1875-2014." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 22 December 2017. Piauí Arquivos do Estado (Piauí State Archives), Teresina.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.