Brazil, Paraíba, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Paraíba, Civil Registration, 1879-2007
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Flag of Paraíba|
|Location of Paraíba, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Paraíba, Registro Civil|
|Paraíba General Justice Office, João Pessoa|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes records of births, marriages, and deaths created by various civil registration offices in the state of Paraíba from 1879-2007.
Additional images will be published as they become available.
Reading These Records
For help reading these Portuguese records see the following:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Brazil, Paraíba, Civil Registration, 1879-2007.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
For details about the contents of these records, their history, and help using them see the wiki article: Brazil Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records).
Information in each record varies from year to year.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before using this collection it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Municipality
- Select Civil Registration Office
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, Paraíba, Civil Registration, 1879-2007. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
- To learn more about using the information in civil records, view this lesson for free: Brazil Beginning Research Series Lesson 2: Civil Registration Records - English
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- A boundary change could have occurred and the record of you ancestor is now in a neighboring. Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Brazil Church Records are also a good substitute when civil records of births, marriages, and deaths cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Brazil Emigration and Immigration records
New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records.
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Brazil.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Brasil, Paraíba, Registro Civil, 1879-2007." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 18 December 2017. Corregedor Geral da Justicia da Paraíba (Paraíba General Justice Office), João Pessoa.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.