Brazil, Paraíba, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Paraíba, Catholic Church Records, 1731-2013
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Flag of Paraíba|
|Location of Paraíba, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Paraíba, Registros da Igreja Católica|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes baptism, marriage, and burial records created by various Catholic parishes and diocese in the state of Paraíba from 1731-2013.
Reading These Records
For help reading these Portuguese records see the following:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Brazil, Paraíba, Catholic Church Records, 1731-2013.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The information in these records usually include the following:
For additional details about these records and help using them, see the wiki article, Brazil Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
The information found in each record varies by year.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
- Family relationships
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Municipality
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Brazil, Paraíba, Catholic Church Records, 1731-2013. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- The birth and/or age may also help you find the family in the Brazil Census
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, What Now?
- A boundary change could have occurred and the record of you ancestor is now in a neighboring. Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Brazil Emigration and Immigration may be useful if your ancestors immigrated to or from another country
- Brazil Paraíba, Civil Registration may also be a good source when birth, marriage, and death records can’t be found in other records
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Brazil.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Brasil, Paraíba, Registros da Igreja Católica, 1731-2013." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Paróquias Católicas, Paraíba (Catholic Church parishes, Paraíba).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.