Brazil, Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Cemetery Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Brazil, Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Cemetery Records, 1897-2012
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Minas Gerais, Brazil|
|Flag of the Federative Republic of Brazil|
|Location of Minas Gerais, Brazil|
|Title in the Language:||Brasil, Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Registros de Cemitérios Municipais|
|City Hall of Belo Horizonte|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection contains cemetery records from the four municipal cemeteries in Belo Horizonte: Bonfim, Consolação, Paz, and Saudade from 1897-2012.
Additional images will be published as they become available.
Reading These Records
These records are written in Portuguese. For help reading these records see the following:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Brazil, Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Cemetery Records, 1897-2012.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Cemetery records may include:
- Name, age, and gender of the deceased
- Marital status/name of spouse
- Children's names
- Cause of death
- Cemetery name (place of burial)
- Date of burial
- Plot location
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before using this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Cemetery and Record Type
- Select Volume to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing this Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral records, which often include the names and residences of other family members
- Use the age to determine a birth year
- Use the estimated birth year and birthplace to locate the birth record
- Use the locality and the spouse's name to locate a marriage record church and/or civil records
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have been buried in the same cemetery or nearby
What If I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For?
- A boundary change could have occurred, and the record of you ancestor is now in a neighboring provinces or regions. Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records.
Consult the Brazil Record Finder to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Brasil, Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Registros de Cemitérios Municipais, 1897-2012." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Fundação de Parques Municipais, Belo Horizonte (Municipal Parks Foundation, Belo Horizonte).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.