Bradford, Devon Genealogy
Guide to Bradford, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Holsworthy|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1609|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
BRADFORD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (N. E. by E.) from Holsworthy. The church is a plain edifice.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bradford, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FHOS = FHSOnline - free|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Bradford, Devon Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Bible Christian Methodist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
Bradford on GENUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 326-331. Date accessed: 24 October 2013.
- 'Coverage for the Devon Parish Records database,' FHS Online, accessed 24 May 2012.
- Roger Granville and W.E. Mugford, Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644 (Exeter: William Pollard and Co. Ltd., 1908). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.