Bozeman Montana Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
Re-opening APRIL 21, 2021
Virtual Hours: Wednesdays 1-4pm (Appointments recommended. See Notes)
In-person Hours: Wednesdays 6-9pm (Masks and Social Distancing are required)
NOTES: The Bozeman Montana Family History Center is currently closed and is scheduled to re-open on April 21 with new hours and some limitations. With the uncertainty of the pandemic, and hopefully for the better, the following hours and limitations are subject to change. Please check back here for updates. The virtual hours will take place via phone and/or Zoom from the comfort of your home using screen sharing. Appointments are not required, but to ensure that you can get help during the Virtual hours, it would be best to make an appointment. Appointments can be made by calling the Family History Center during hours of operation or by the email below.
- All major holidays
- Closed: Wednesday, November 24, 2021
- Closed: Wednesday, December 22, 2021
- Closed: Wednesday, December 29, 2021
PLEASE CHECK HERE FOR UNANTICIPATED CLOSURES THAT MAY ARISE DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES SUCH AS STAFFING PROBLEMS, INCLEMENT WEATHER, ETC.
2915 Colter Avenue
Bozeman, Montana 59715
- The History Center is accessed by turning left on South Third Street (to the left of the Museum of the Rockies) and then turning left on Henderson.
- The Church parking lot is now on your right. Pull into the lot and park.
- Use the first entrance to the right of the building.
- Walk to the first hallway, turn left and continue to the history center on the left.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- There are many books available for the United States and Europe too. We have a very good collection of books by county in Pennsylvania.
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Hardware and Equipment
- The center has five computers, all with internet access and also wireless access for your own computer. There are two microfilm readers, one fiche reader, and one printer). There are app. 200 microfilms on indefinite loan and many microfiche available for all to use.
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
Bozeman Public Library
626 E. Main Street
Bozeman, Montana 59715
The library has Bozeman city directories from 1892 to the present, genealogy handbooks, and free access to many subscription databases.
Gallatin County Genealogical Society
Meetings are free and open to the public.
Meetings are held the second Saturday at the Bozeman Public Library 11 a.m. to noon in Jan, Feb, Apr, May, Sep, Oct, and Nov.
Gallatin County Historical Society and Gallatin History Museum
317 West Main Street
- Summer Hours:
(Memorial Day through Labor Day)
Tuesday - Saturday 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Winter Hours:
Tuesday - Saturday 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Admission Fees:
Research Center Admission Free
Museum Admission : Call or see their Website
Knowledgeable staff and volunteers are always available to help with research
The Montana State Historical Society
225 North Roberts Street
Helena, Montana 59620-1201
- Open Year Round
Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 - 1:00 PM
Montana State University Library (Renne Library)
P.O. Box 173320
Bozeman, MT 59717-3320
Service Desk: 406-994-3139
- Special Collections
Location: Renne Library 2nd floor
Hours: Wednesday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Yellowstone Historic Center Museum
104 Yellowstone Ave.
West Yellowstone, Montana
Links[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
We are always ready to accept volunteers who like to do family history and work with the public as they come into our center looking for help. You do not have to be a member of the Church and no one will ever talk to you about the Church unless you ask about specific doctrines.