Botetourt County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
Has anyone studied my Botetourt County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 75 family history books and articles have been published about Botetourt County's families.
- Main article: Botetourt County, Virginia
Botetourt County, Virginia Genealogy Message Boards
- Botetourt County, VA Genealogy Forum, courtesy: GenForum.
- Botetourt - Family History & Genealogy Message Board, courtesy: Ancestry.
Botetourt County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources
The Virginia Room at the Roanoke Public Library includes Surname Files. A list of families in this collection is available at the library's website.
Botetourt County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 275 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Heath indexed biographies of early settlers of Botetourt County in The Virginia Papers: the Draper Manuscript Collection, 5 vols. 2003-6. FHL Book 975.5 H2vp v. 5
The Katherine Bushman Papers, 1961-1997 at the Library of Virginia include files about Botetourt County families.
Compiled genealogies treating multiple families in this county include:
- Austin, J. William and Rebecca H.R. Austin. Related Families of Botetourt County, Virginia. Revised Edition. 1977; revised, Baltimore, Md., 2000. FHL Book 975.583 D2a. Includes Austin, Burger, Firebaugh, Huff, Noffsinger, Switzer and Wilhelm families.
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Virginia, Early Settlers: From the Earliest Times through 1795, in the Area that was Botetourt County in 1782, Covers Parts of Present-day Counties of Montgomery, Bath, Giles, Floyd, Alleghany, Roanoke, Craig and Monroe. Troutville, Va.: [Burton?, 1979?]. FHL Fiche 6015637 - 6015638.
Botetourt County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Adams] Austin, J. William and Rebecca H.R. Austin. Related Families of Botetourt County, Virginia. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 2000. Available at FHL Collection; ▲ digital version Ancestry ($).
- [Amman] See Adams.
- [Anderson] Mills, Elizabeth Shown. "A Case Study in Family Reconstruction Within a 'Burned County,'" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 27, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1983):3-19, digital versions at American Ancestors ($); Historic Pathways; reprinted in Genealogy: A Publication of the Family History Section, Indiana Historical Society, No. 78 (July 1983):1-10 (available for free online at Historic Pathways). Digital version also at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 27 (1983).
- [Austin] See Adams.
- [Beaver] Hoeman, Andree Sieverin and Beavers - Riddle Family Association. A Partial History of the Riddle - Beavers Families of Botetourt County, Virginia; Highland County, Ohio; Decatur and Page Counties, Iowa: Including Cook, Rader, Bender / Painter, Harshbarger, Ammen, Ranck and Other Related Families. West Des Moines, Iowa: Beavers - Riddle Family Association, 1981. FHL Collection
- [Beckley] Warren, Harlow. Beckley, U.S.A. 2 vols. 1955-1963.
- [Beckner] Beckner, William Everett. The Beckners of Botetourt. Fort Thomas, Kentucky: W.E. Beckner, 1928. FHL Collection
- [Breckenridge] Kennedy, Mary Selden. Seldens of Virginia and Allied Families. New York: Frank Allaben Genealogical Co., c1911. Digital versions of Vol. 1 at Google Books; Internet Archive | Vol. 2 at FamilySearch Books Online;Internet Archive; FHL Book 929.273 Se48k.
- [Brownlee] "Virginia Valley Brownlees 1718-1985," Family File, Augusta County Historical Society.
- [Brugh] Jennings, Ruby Brugh, Vista Brugh Robinson, and Joy Jennings Nash. Brugh (Bruch, Brough) Family of Pennsylvania and Botetourt Co., Virginia: Descendents of Hermanus Bruch (Brugh), 1722-1794. MSS., FHL Collection
- [Clayton] Rhodes, Phillip Wayne. "Clayton-Davies Re-visited," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 30, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1986):243-257. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 30 (1986).
- [Clevenger] Griffiths, George R. Clevenger, Pioneers & Descendants. Baltimore, Md., 1980.
- [Cottle] Cottle, Darryl O. “Joseph Cottle,” Greenbrier County West Virginia Family Heritage 1997. n.p.: Walsworth Publishing Co., 1996. Page 49.
- [Cottle] Cottle, Darryl O. “Uriah Cottle,” Greenbrier County West Virginia Family Heritage 1997. n.p.: Walsworth Publishing Co., 1996. Pages 49-50.
- [Cross] Cross, John Newton, Mary Thompson Cross Cole, and Sarah McLonie Conner. William Cross of Botetourt Co., Va., and His Descendants, 1733-1932: Also a Record of the Related Families of McCown, Gentry-Blythe, Cain- Robertson, Harris-Martin, and Conner, of Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois and Missouri. Columbia, Missouri: E.W. Stephens Publishing Co., 1932. FHL Collection
- [Crow] Howell, Margie Ellis. Kinfolks of William Parke and Synah Perry & Josiah Wilson and Margaret Crow, Including the Related Families of Hammonds, Estes, Lewis, Lynn, Stephens, Hopper, Wheeler, Ficklin, Ellis and Others. Kansas City, Mo., 1967. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online; FHL Book 929.273 P222h.
- [Cunningham] Hylton, Betty Jane. "The Cunningham Family," Bulletin of the Watauga Association of Genealogists, Vol. 17, No. 1 (1988):50.
- [Dunbar] Harman, John Newton. Harman Genealogy (Southern Branch): With Biographical Sketches, 1700-1924. Richmond, Va.: W.C. Hill Print. Co., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795592 Item 5 Includes Accomack County.
- [Eller] Eller, John C. Genealogy Problems Regarding Jacob and Magdalene Eller of Botetourt County, Virginia. 1994. FHL Collection
- [Ensminger] Bell, Raymond Martin. The Ensminger Family. Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, South Carolina. Rev. ed. Washington, Pa., 1961.
- [Firestone] Russell, George Ely. "Firestone Family of Frederick Co., Md.," Western Maryland Genealogy, Vol. 9, No. 1 (Jan. 1993):2-14; Vol. 9, No. 2 (Apr. 1993):62-72.
- [Fleming] Goodwin, Edmund P. Colonel William Fleming of Botetourt [Virginia], 1728-1795. Roanoke, Virginia: Progress Press, 1976. FHL Collection
- [Francisco] Fletcher, Virginia Billingsley and Paul E. Fletcher. "Time and Tide," A Francisco Family History. The Ancestors and Descendants of Christopher Francisco and Halana Bowen of Southeast Virginia and Claiborne County, Tennessee. Fort Lauderdale, Fla., 1989.
- [Frantz] Frantz, Dore M. and Ilo Fisher. Burials, Frantz Family and Relatives--Extracts from the Dore Manfred Frantz Manuscript: Together with Some Frantz Immigrants Before 1776; Wills, Lancaster, Pennsylvania; Wills and Administrations, Botetourt County, Virginia. Springfield, Ohio: Friends of the Library Genealogical Research Group, Warder Public Library, 1984. FHL Collection
- [Gammon] Boyle, John. Boyle Genealogy: John Boyle of Virginia and Kentucky. St. Louis, Mo.: Perrin & Smith Printing Co., 1909.
- [Gammon] Barnhart, John D. “The Tennessee Constitution of 1796: A Product of the Old West,” The Journal of Southern History, Vol. 9, No. 4 (Nov. 1943):532-548. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- [Givens] Givens, Dorothy Hall. A Givens--Hall Family History from Pre-revolutionary Times to 1970: Including Many Related Families Such as Alexander, Bowman, Black, Chapman, French, Green, Johnston, Phlegar, Ross, Snidow, Stafford, Welker and Others. Radford, Va.: Commonwealth Press, 1971. FHL Book 929.273 G449g
- [Godwin] Grady, Jamie Ault. Godwin. Knoxville, Tenn.: J.A. Grady, 1981. FHL Book 929.273 G549gj.
- [Goodwin] Goodwin, John S. The Goodwin Families in America. Whittet & Shepperson, 1897. 1969 reprint FHL Collection. 1990s supplement also available FHL Collection
- [Goodwin] "Appendix H: The Goodwins of Botetourt and Tazewell Counties, Virginia," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 6, No. 2, Supplement (Oct. 1897):91-99. Available at JSTOR ($).
- [Goodwin] "APPENDIX F: The Goodwins of Botetourt and Tazewell Counties, Va," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 8, No. 2, Supplement (Oct. 1899):17-18. Available at JSTOR ($).
- [Goodwin] Bates, Edward Bryant. Brief History of the Goodwin Family of Augusta, Botetout and Tazewell and Tazewell Counties of Virginia. Bass Lake, California: E. Bates, [198-]. FHL Collection.
- [Greene] Humphrey, Janis and Howard Humphrey. "Wilson-Greene-Humphrey-Broshong," Bulletin of the Watauga Association of Genealogists, Vol. 18, No. 2 (1989):146-148.
- [Hansons] Hanson, Ray. Hansons-Hensons of Botetourt and Their Descendants. 1986. Available at FHL Collection
- [Harman] Harman, John Newton. Harman Genealogy (Southern Branch): With Biographical Sketches, 1700-1924. Richmond, Va.: W.C. Hill Print. Co., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Hensons] See Hansons.
- [Johnston] Johnston, Charles. A Narrative of the Incidents Attending the Capture, Detention and Ransom of Charles Johnston of Botetourt Co., Va.: Who was Made Prisoner by the Indians on the River Ohio, in the Year 1790, Together with an Interesting Account of the Fate of His Companions, Five in Number, One of Whom Suffered at the Stake. To which is Added Sketches of Indian Character and Manners with Illustrative Anecdotes. New York: J. & J. Harper, 1827. FHL Collection
- [Joliffe] Brey, Jane W.T. A Quaker Saga ... The Watsons of Strawberryhowe, the Wildmans, and Other Allied Families from England's North Counties and Lower Bucks County in Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, Pa.: Dorrance & Co., 1967. FHL Book 929.273 W331bj.
- [Kes(s)ler] Kessler, Morris S. Records of the Johannes Kes(s)ler Family of Botetourt County, Virginia. MSS., 1978, FHL Collection
- [Kes(s)ler] Kessler, Morris S. and A. Dean Kessler. Out from the Blue Ridge: A Genealogical History of the Kessler--Kesler Families of Botetourt County, Virginia. 2 vols. Champaign, Illinois: M.S. Kessler, 1984-1994. FHL Collection
- [Lackland] Bailey, Chris H. "John Stull, Sr., the Miller," Western Maryland Genealogy, Vol. 13, No. 3 (1997); Vol. 13, No. 4 (Oct. 1997):146-157.
- [Lee] Lee, Lena Louise Jones. Descendants of Zachariah Lee of Albemarle, Rockingham and Botetourt Counties and Catawba Valley, 1765-1838. MSS., 1988, available at FHL.
- [Little] Lytle, Leonard. The Descendants of John Little of Botetourt and Rockbridge Counties, Virginia: With Notes on Other Lines of Littles & Lytles that May Be Related. MSS., National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, D.C. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- [Lewis] Jones, L.H. Captain Roger Jones of London and Virginia, Some of His Antecedents and Descendants: With Appreciative Notice of Other Families, viz.: Bathurst, Belford, Browning, Carter, Catesby, Cocke, Graham, Fauntleroy, Hickman, Hoskins, Latane, Lewis, Meriwether, Skelton, Walker, Waring, Woodford, and Others. Albany, N.Y.: Joel Munsell's Sons, Publishers, 1891. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archives. 1911 edition: FHL Film 1321070 Item 1; 1985 reprint: FHL Book 929.273 J71jL 1985.
- [Looney] Crane, Madge Looney and Phillip L. Crane. Most Distinguished Characters of the American Frontier: Robert Looney (b 1692-1702 d 1770) of Augusta (now Botetourt) County, Virginia and Some of His Descendants with Histories of the Great Road, Looney's Ferry, Crow's Ferry, Anderson's Ferry, Boyd's Ferry and Beale's Bridge. 2 vols. Apollo, Pennsylvania: Closson Press, 1998-2008. Available at FHL.
- [McClure] McClure, Joseph W., George E. Honts, and Ellwyn Worley. Following the McClures - Donegal to Botetourt. Chester, Virginia: J.W. McClure, [199-?]. Available at FHL.
- [McCulley] Lufcy, Lola Wilkey. "Some Descendants of Jonathan Jackson Wilkey of Hopkins County, Kentucky," The Kentucky Genealogist, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1960):12-18.
- [McFarland] Davis, Nell Been. McFarland - Bean. Available in Family Files, Johnson City Public Library, Johnson City, Tenn.
- [McNeil] McNeil, Don W. The Lineage of Joseph and John McNeil of Adams County, Ohio, Harrodsburg, Kentucky, and Botetourt County, Virginia: Including Neal McNeil, Grandfather, James McNeil, Father, Mary Anne McNeil, Mother, and Johnathan McNeil, Uncle and Archibald McNeil of Harrodsburg, Peggy McNeil (Archibald's Sister) of New Castle, Delaware, John Shelp of Harrodsburg, Ann Shelp (Step-sister of Joseph and John), and James Kelly of Harrodsburg. Honolulu, Hawaii: Valley Breeze Press, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Maccoun] Smith, Zachary F. and Mary Rogers Clay. The Clay Family. Louisville, Ky.: John P. Morton and Company, 1899. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Madison] Owen, Thomas McAdory, "William Strother of Virginia and His Descendants," Publications of the Southern History Association, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Apr. 1898):149-173. Digitized by Internet Archive.
- [Matlock] Wood, Mrs. William. "Matlock and Related Families," Bulletin of the Watauga Association of Genealogists, Vol. 16, No. 2 (1987):132.
- [Means] Foglesong, Elizabeth Cissel. The Means Family of America. 1972. FHL Book 929.273 M462f.
- [Minnick] Minnick, Michiael Linden and Shirley Ann Driver Minnick. The Minnick Family of Botetourt County, Virginia and Henry County, Indiana. Middletown, Indiana : M.L. Minnick, 1992. Available at FHL; digital book at FamilySearch Books Online
- [Norvell] Norvell, Grace. "James Norvell of Goochland County, Virginia," Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 26, No. 3 (Aug. 1988):157-168; Vol. 26, No. 4 (Nov. 1988):237-246. Digital version at Ancestry ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vs.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Botetourt County appears in Vol. 1]
- [Perkins] Perkins, William Robertson. Papers 1929-1943. Section 2. MSS. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Riddle] See Beaver.
- [Robertson] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Robertson] Major, Nettie Leitch. "Robertson Family of Mercer County, Kentucky," The Kentucky Genealogist, Vol. 22, No. 3 (July/September 1980):98-111. FHL Book 976.9 B2kg v. 22 (1980).
- [Ross] Going, Mary Sue. "Application for Pension - Edward Ross, State of Tennessee, Washington County," Bulletin of the Watauga Association of Genealogists, Vol. 13, No. 2 (1984):130-135.
- [Rowland] Petersen, Carol Rowland. Descendants of John Rowland, Son of William Rowland : (Botetourt Co., Va.). Belton, Missouri: C.R. Petersen, 1999. Available at FHL; digital book at FamilySearch Books Online
- [Smith] Smith II, Tyson Douglas, The Direct Male Descendants of Jacob Smith and Mary Shockey Family using Y-DNA. Available for free at two locations sites.google.com/site/thesmithfamilycorp/home/smith-dna and www.scribd.com/doc/34297698/Jacob-Smith-1810-Census-Montgomery-County-Virginia
- [Spratt] Buchanan, Paul C. "The Spratt Family of Southwest Virginia Prior to 1800," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 32, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1988):297-305. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 32 (1988).
- [Stewart] Stewart, William C. "Mercantile Adventures in Early Virginia, John Stewart, Tailor of Augusta and Botetourt Counties," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 11, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1967):3-11; Vol. 11, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1967):61-66. Available at New England Ancestors ($).
- [Stoner] Stoner, Vera Barnhart. The Family of Jacob Stoner II of Botetourt County, Virginia: With Historical and Genealogical Records, 1732-1965. Ladoga, Indiana: V.B. Stoner, 1965. Two copies available at FHL: here[low quality link] and here[low quality link].
- [Stoner] Stoner, Norris Eugene. Our Stoner Family, 1732-1991: The Family of Jacob Stoner "II" (1781-1836) of Botetourt County, Virginia, and Some Other Descendants of His Grandfather Jacob Stoner "I" (1731/32-1804) of the Spring Garden Farm, Frederick County, Maryland, with Historical and Genealogical Records and Pictures. Tampa, Florida: N. E. Stoner, 1991. Available at FHL.
- [Turnley] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1918. Vol. 1. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Walker] Dolan, Charlou. Allied Family, Walker. C. Dolan, 1986. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free; FHL.
- [Walker] Roberts, Gary Boyd. Ancestors of American Presidents. Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009. FHL Book 973 D2r 2009; online bookstore.
- [Wilson] Howell, Margie Ellis. Kinfolks of William Parke and Synah Perry & Josiah Wilson and Margaret Crow, Including the Related Families of Hammonds, Estes, Lewis, Lynn, Stephens, Hopper, Wheeler, Ficklin, Ellis and Others. Kansas City, Mo., 1967. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free; FHL Book 929.273 P222h.
- [Wilson] Roberts, Gary Boyd. Ancestors of American Presidents. Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009. FHL Book 973 D2r 2009; online bookstore.
- [Woodville] Meade, William. Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia. 2 vols. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861. Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II - free.
- [Worley] Dean, H. Clark. "Caleb Worley (say 1730-circa 1790) of Virginia and Kentucky, Grandson of Francis Worley of Pennsylvania," The American Genealogist, Vol. 70, No. 2 (Apr. 1995):75-81. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Wyatt] Hardy, Stella Pickett. Colonial Families of the Southern States of America. New York: Tobias A. Wright, 1911. Digital version at Google Books - free.
- [Wymer] Weimer, Robert E., Weimer Genealogical Center (Albuquerque, New Mexico), and Mary W. Dixon. The Weimer Family: As Known to 1974 [and Beyond]. Multi-volume. Albuquerque, New Mexico: Weimer Genealogical Center, 1975-. Available at FHL; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online
- [Zollman] Zollman, W.B. The Zollman Family of Virginia. Roanoke, Va., 1961.
- [Zollman] Diehl, George West. "The Early Zollman Family in Virginia," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 2 (Apr. 1966):23-29. Digital version at Ancestry ($).