Bolivar County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Bolivar County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bolivar County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||9 February, 1836|
|Address|| Bolivar County Courthouse]|
401 S Court Street
Cleveland, MS 38732-2696
Bolivar County Courthouse
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Obituaries
- 5.16 Occupations
- 5.17 Probate Records
- 5.18 Taxation
- 5.19 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Simón Bolívar. The County has Rosedale and Cleveland as its seat and the County was created 1836. The County is located in the northwest area of the state.
Bolivar County, Mississippi Record Dates
Bolivar County Courthouse District 1
P.O. Box 205
Rosedale, MS 38769
Bolivar County Courthouse
P.O. Box 670
Clerk Circuit Court in Cleveland, Mississippi, has marriage and court records. Clerk Chancery Court has divorce, probate and land records. Clerk Circuit Court in Rosedale, Mississippi, has marriage records from 1866 and court records from 1870. Clerk Chancery Court has divorce, probate and land records. Chancery and Circuit Clerks office in both Courthouses. Rosedale records back about 20 years earlier than Cleveland. 
1836--Bolivar County was created 9 February 1836 from the Choctaw Cession. Records are housed in Rosedale and Cleveland.
County seat: Cleveland 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Rosedale and Cleveland – Fire in 1863, Flood in 1865.
- Chicot County, Arkansas
- Desha County, Arkansas
- Phillips County, Arkansas
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Mississippi Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Bolivar County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- 1841 - 1841 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1845 - 1845 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1853 - 1853 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1866 - 1866 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1870 - 1870 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1805-1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660-1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792-1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Bolivar County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1889-1942 - Mississippi, Confederate Records, 1889-1942 at FamilySearch — images
- 1900-1974 - Mississippi, Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1900-1974 at FamilySearch — images
- Men from Bolivar County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Bolivar County.
- - 1st Battalion, Mississippi Cavalry (Miller's)
- Company A - Mississippi Rifles
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company H - Bolivar Troop
World War I
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Bolivar County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Selected Bolivar County Obituaries Scroll down on the page to Obituaries. USGenWeb Archives
Probate records are held by the Bolivar County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Bolivar County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1780 – 1982 Mississippi Wills and Probate Records 1780-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1781 – 1930 Mississippi Probate Records 1781-1930 at FamilySearch — images
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800-1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776-1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826-1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826-1850 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
Marriage books 4 and 13 are missing from the Family History Library collection. In addition, marriage books 5, 6, 20, 24, and 25 (first series) were apparently skipped when the IGI was created.
- 1866-1873 - Bolivar County Marriage Books 1 thru 3 Index 1866-1873. Batch M516751 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1885 - Bolivar County Marriage Books 7 and 8 Index 1883-1885. Batch M516753 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1886-1892 - Bolivar County Marriage Books 9 and 10 Index 1886-1892. Batches M516754 and M516755 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1893-1895 - Bolivar County Marriage Books 14 and 15 Index 1893-1895. Batch M516756 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Bolivar County Historical Society
1615 Terrace Road
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Bolivar County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Bolivar County, MSGenWeb Project
- Bolivar County, USGenWeb Archives
- BolivarCountyGenWeb Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Wikipedia contributors, "Bolivar, Mississippi," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivar_County,_Mississippi."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bolivar County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.