Bland County, Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Bland County, Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Bland County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Bland County Virginia History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Bland County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 Bible Records
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church Records
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land and Property
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous Records
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Probate Records
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Bland County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Bland County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Bland County Virginia Genealogy References
Bland County is located in the Southwest portion of the Commonwealth of Virginia sharing a border with West Virginia. Bland County was named after Richard Bland, a leader of Colonial Virginia.
Bland County Virginia Courthouse
Bland County Courthouse
612 Main Street, Suite 104
Bland, VA 24315
Clerk Circuit court has marriage, probate and land records 1861
and divorce records from 1900
Bland County Virginia History
1888 Most loose papers were destroyed by a courthouse fire in 1888. Bound volumes, and some of the chancery papers remain.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties. By Michael John Neill. Online at: Family History Circle.
Bland County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Bland County. By John Frederick Dorman. The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 5, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1961):77-78. CD available at: New England Ancestors ($).
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
For a more detailed list, including addresses and external links, see Bland County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Bland County: 
For tips on accessing Bland County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
- Indexed images of Bland County, Virginia Chancery Records 1874-1928 are available online through Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index. The online indexes continues from 1928 through 1938, but at present does not include images. These records, often concerned with inheritance disputes, contain a wealth of genealogical information.
Land and Property
- History of Bland County, Virginia. c1961. By Bland County Centennial Corporation. Radford, Virginia : Bland County Centennial Corporation. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Little Walkers Creek : A History of the Land and Its People. c2005. By Rebecca Cox Sowers. Franklin, Tennessee : American History Imprints. At various libraries (WorldCat).
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... 1883. Washington, DC : Government Printing Office. Online at: Internet Archive, Google Books. See Vol. 5, Virginia, Bland County, p. 64.
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 Ancestry
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry
Bland County men most often served in regiments (and companies) from their home county. At times, however, individuals and small groups can be found serving in regiments from neighboring counties. Later in the war, Confederate units often reorganized.
- - 8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company F (Bland Rangers)
- - 36th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate).
- - 45th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company F (Sharpshooters).
- - 47th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company B.
- - 51st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company F (or K).
- History of Bland County, Virginia. c1961. By Bland County Centennial Corporation. Radford, Virginia : Bland County Centennial Corporation. At various libraries (WorldCat). Includes names of units from this county and a roster of the men who served in these units on pages 259-277.
- 1607-2007 - Virginia, Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Bland County, Virginia Genealogy newspapers.
- 1890 - Bland County, Virginia Property Tax Records. 2004. By Denise A. Smith. Signal Mountain, TN : Mountain Press. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online.
Indexes to Bland County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- 1861-1896 - Bland County, Virginia Births: 1861-96. 2000. By Beth Fridley. Provo, UT : The Generations Network, Inc. Online at: Ancestry ($).
- 1912-1913 - Virginia, Birth Certificates, 1912-1913
- 1660-1959 - Virginia, United States Marriages Online at: FindMyPast ($)
- 1861-1929 - Bland County Marriage Index 1861-1929. Batch M868575.
- 1936-1988 - Virginia, Marriage Certificates, 1936-1988
- 1918-1988 - Virginia, Divorce Records, 1918-1988
- 1912-1987 - Virginia, Death Certificates, 1912-1987
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Bland County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Bland County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Bland Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Bland County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Familytree101)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List
Bland County Virginia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bland County, Virginia. Page 711 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Bland County, Virginia," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bland_County, accessed 13 January 2012.
- Lost Records Localities: Counties and Cities with Missing Records, 4, in Library of Virginia (accessed 4 April 2014).
- USGS Map, Topozone.com
- "Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index Availability," Library of Virginia (accessed 26 January 2010).
- Jack L. Dickinson, 8th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 25.
- J.L. Scott, 45th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 58.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 26th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 110.
- James A. Davis, 51st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1984). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 9; A Guide to Virginia Military Organization 1861-1865, 287.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Online at: https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.