Bladen County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Bladen County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bladen County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Genealogy
- 4.6 Land
- 4.7 Local Histories
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Military
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Probate
- 4.12 Taxation
- 4.13 Vital Records
- 4.14 Yearbooks
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Bladen County North Carolina
Courthouse Dr P O Box 247
Elizabethtown, NC 28337
reg of Deeds has b & D rec from 1914
m rec from 1893 & land rec from 1734
Clk Sup Ct has div & ct rec from 1893 & pro rec from 1734
Register of Deeds
PO Box 247
Elizabethtown, NC 28337
Clerk of Superior Court
PO Box 2619
Elizabethtown, NC 28337
Telephone: (910) 872-7200
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1770, 1800, 1893--Courthouse fires destroyed most of the court records and several land records.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Bladen County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Bladen. Established 1756.
- White Marsh. Established about 1765. Later located in Columbus County.
Church of England
- St. Martin's Parish. Established by 1741.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Lewis] Lewis, J.D. My Neck of the Woods: The Lewis Families of Southeastern North Carolina and Northeastern South Carolina. Little River, S.C.: J.D. Lewis, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 L585Ljd; CD-ROM no. 1036
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Bladen County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Bladen County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- -3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery, Company H
- - 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery, Company I
- - 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery,
- - 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery, 2nd Company K
- - 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company H
- - 3rd Regiment, North Carolina State Troops, Company H
- - 7th Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company C
- - 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain David Callihan's Company
- - 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Neill McNeill's Company
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Bladen County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1766 - 1961 - Will Books 1 to 5 (1766-1961) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Images of Wills & Estates 1731-1771; 1766-1833; 1864-1895. North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1741-2004 - North Carolina, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1888 - 1961 - Bladen County Marriage Index 1888-1961 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Bladen County students at NC colleges - list via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Societies and Libraries
Bladen County Historical Society
PO Box 848
Elizabethtown, NC, 28337
Old New Hanover Genealogical Society
PO Box 2536
Wilmington, NC 28402-2536
Mother County Genealogical Society
818 South Main Street
Bladenboro, NC 28320
Telephone Number: 910-863-4707
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Bladen County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- NCGenWeb: Bladen County - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bladen County, North Carolina p. 506. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:319, 327. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at archive.org.
- Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), 414. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.