Bishopston, Glamorgan, Wales Genealogy
BISHOPSTON, or LLAN-DEILO-VER-WALT, a parish, in the union and hundred of Swansea, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 6½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Swansea. The small village of Caswell, in the parish, gives name to Caswell bay. The church, dedicated to St. Teilo. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. Here was formerly a chapel, which has long since fallen into ruins.
Contributor: add a general overview of the history of this parish. It can be a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs. If more, consider creating a separate page and linking to it from here.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Several Internet sites list names or indexes to the records, including:
Census for the entire country was started in 1841 and continued every ten years. The most recent census available to the public is 1911. Learn more about these records by reading the census article.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Glamorgan Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in Wales. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place. Here is a link to a web site with gazetteers and maps.
Click here to see a list of communities in Bishopton.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 81-88. Date accessed: 07 May 2013.