Birmingham St Thomas, Warwickshire Genealogy
|Birmingham St Thomas, Warwickshire|
|Poor Law Union||Birmingham|
|Parish registers: 1829|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1829|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Warwickshire County Record Office|
Birmingham St Thomas. Prior to the year 1715, Birmingham comprised only one parish, at present it comprises the five parishes of St. Martin, St. Philip, St. George, St. Thomas, and All Saints. Christ-church, in the parish of St. Philip usually called the "Free church," St. Peter's, St. Luke's church, St. Stephen's church, is in the parish of St. George. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, Swedenborgians, and Unitarians; a Scottish church, and two Roman Catholic chapels.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bishop's Transcripts deposited at the Lichfield Record Office Bap 1829-1841 Marr none Bur 1829-1841
See also A Comprehensive List of Birmingham Parishes and Chapels for details of microfilm for this parish.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 20 November 2013.