Birmingham Alabama Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
- Location Map: Location Map
- Address: 2780 Altadena Rd Birmingham, AL 35243
- Corner of Altadena Road and Cahaba River Road and in the church. Our door is nearest the Altadena Road entrance to parking.
- Phone: 205-967-7279
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stake TFH Consultant - Center: Theresa Tuck (email@example.com)
- Stake TFH Consultant - Center Assistant:
- Tuesday: 9:00am-3:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am-3:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00am-3:00pm; except 1st and 5th Saturdays
- We are all volunteers so we invite you to call to be sure we are open.
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Class Workshop[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center may have various films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Patrons' Microfiche Collection -- a collection of fiche ordered by our patrons, assorted titles. Contain family histories, vital records, and other types of information.
- Indefinite Film Collection -- a collection of films on a variety of subjects, to include vital records, county records, court records, etc.
- Book Collection: -- More than 600 volumes including "American State Papers".
- We have more than 8800 microfilm and microfiche records on site.
- Alabama Death Records for years 1908 to 1974, complete.
- Many microfilm for England, Ireland, Germany, Scotland, South Africa
- Hurst Tennesse Collection: Tennessee State Library and Archive: V202-0012; NARA M653-1252; NARA 593-1531; NARA T9-1258; NARA T623-1573; NARA 624-1501; NARA 624-1518. Includes counties: Claiborne, Grainger, Greene, Grundy, Hamblin ,Hancock, Sevier
- Surnames: Bass, Beasley, Beddingfield, Bird, Brocks Gap families, Cain, Corbitt, Couplands, Crocker, Dickerson, Dollins, Drowne, Elder, Ellis, Good, Hassinger, Hilley, Killough, Lane, Lasher, Lawrence, Martin, McCullough, Moser, Murdock, Pendergrass, Pullen, Randolph, Rasco, Rhoad, Richardson, Skinner, Snow, Southerland, Sparks, Strange, Stump, Thomas,Veithch, Weaver, Wester, Wooten
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press-The American Civil War
- Create your "Who Do You Think You Are?" story
- Find My Past
- Fold3.com - (formerly Footnote)
- ProQuest Obituary Listings
- World Vital Records.
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Computers, microfilm readers, microfilm/fiche printer for paper or digital, fiche readers
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Individual Help and Group Presentations at no charge
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
- Alabama Genealogical Society
- BAAGG , Birmingham African American Genealogy Group, (Meets on 2nd Sunday, 3rd Floor of Linn-Henley Building at Birmingham Central Library)
- Birmingham Genealogical Group (Meets 4th Saturday at Birmingham Central Library, 2-4pm)
- Birmingham Central Library: features extensive collection for Southern research
- Samford University: Outstanding seminars for genealogists, Is Repository for Alabama Baptist Church Records, large Ireland collection, many other records.
- Birmingham Southern University: Has Archives for Methodist Church
Links[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
- Alabama Department of History and Archives
- Alabama Genealogical Society Website
- Birmingham African American Genealogy Study Group
- Birmingham Genealogical Society Blog
- Birmingham Civil Rights Institute Archives
- Birmingham News Archives (1993-Present)
- Oak Hill Cemetery
- Samford Genealogy Website
- Wallace State Genealogy Website
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
We need volunteers to work at the Center during regular hours. Contact temple and family history consultant - center for more information. Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org