Bermondsey Christ Church, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Bermondsey Christ Church, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Bermondsey Christ Church, Surrey|
|Poor Law Union||Bermondsey|
|Parish registers: 1845|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
Bermondsey Christ Church was originally created as one of several chapelries lying within the boundary of the ancient parish of St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey. It was constructed by the year 1845*.
The other chapels built prior to 1900 in the ancient parish and borough included:
- Charterhouse Mission, Bermondsey -
- Christ Church - 1845*
- Clare College Mission, Bermondsey - 1886
- Holy Trinity Rotherhithe St, Bermondsey - 1838
- St Anne Thorburn Sq, Bermondsey - 1866
- St Augustine, South Bermondsey - 1872
- St Crispin, Southwark Park Rd - 1874 *St Hugh, Crosby Row - 1885
- St James, Jamaica Rd, Bermondsey - 1830
- St Luke, Grange Road - 1885 * St Mary Magdalen - 1548
- St Paul, Kipling St - 1846
- St Saviour, Southwark Park Rd - 1874
- St Stephen‘s Mission Church, Tenda Rd - 1872
BERMONDSEY (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish and union, in the borough of Southwark, E. division of the hundred of Brixton and of Surrey, 1½ mile(S. S. E.) from London. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bermondsey Christ Church parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Bermondsey Christ Church Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs||
|FS Catalog BTs||
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Surrey History Centre.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 214-223. Date accessed: 18 February 2014.