Berkshire Archives and Libraries
|Berkshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- 1 Record Offices
- 2 Libraries
- 3 Museums
- 4 Archives
- 5 Collections
Record Offices[edit | edit source]
Berkshire Record Office[edit | edit source]
- The Berkshire Record Office is the archives of the Royal County of Berkshire. We look after nearly nine hundred years of the County's history. On this website you can discover more about our holdings and how to use us, as well as see some of the treasures from our collections.
Libraries[edit | edit source]
Bracknell Library[edit | edit source]
Eton College[edit | edit source]
- College Library is a rare book and manuscript library of international importance. Established soon after the foundation of Eton College, it houses more than 150,000 items, ranging from the 9th to 21st centuries. These include printed and manuscript volumes, literary manuscripts, autograph letters, and prints and drawings.
Reading Central Library[edit | edit source]
Reading Central Library
Reading, Berkshire RG1 3BQ UK
Telephone: 0118 901 5950
Website: Reading Central Library
Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead[edit | edit source]
Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Maidenhead Library - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
St Ives Road
Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 1QU UK
Telephone: 01628 796 969
Website: Maidenhead Library
Wokingham Libraries[edit | edit source]
Museums[edit | edit source]
Berkshire Medical Heritage Centre[edit | edit source]
Berkshire Medical Heritage Centre
Royal Berkshire Hospital
Reading, Berkshire RG1 5AN UK
Telephone: 0118 322 8478
Website: Berkshire Medical Museum
- The Royal Berkshire Medical Museum is part of the Berkshire Medical Heritage Centre which was founded in 1997.
- Our aim is to preserve and display items of historical medical interest particularly those with a local connection.
- We do this by means of our museum, peripheral displays at other sites in the Royal Berkshire Hospital, photographic exhibitions, by recording oral histories and by publishing and promoting books on local healthcare history.
Maidenhead Heritage Centre[edit | edit source]
- Maidenhead Heritage Centre is the museum for Maidenhead and the surrounding villages.
Museum of English Rural Life[edit | edit source]
- The new museum aims to challenge perceptions about rural England by revealing the historical and contemporary relevance of country life.
- Come and discover our new interactive, immersive galleries which explore questions of identity, environment, technology, culture and health.
Reading Museum[edit | edit source]
- Our collections tell the story of Reading and its place in the world.
The Museum of Berkshire Aviation Trust[edit | edit source]
The Museum of Berkshire Aviation Trust
(off The Bader Way)
Nr. Reading, Berkshire RG5 4UE UK
Telephone: 0118 944 8089
Website: The Museum of Berkshire Aviation Trust
- Berkshire's dynamic contribution to aviation history is graphically re-captured at the museum.
- Run as a charitable trust, the museum is at the historic site of Woodley Airfield, near Reading, U.K. - once the centre of a thriving aircraft industry.
- Miles and Handley Page aircraft built at Woodley are being re-constructed and exhibited along with fascinating pictorial records and priceless archives.
West Berkshire Heritage Service - Newbury[edit | edit source]
- Our permanent exhibition tells the story of West Berkshire. From the rocks under our feet to the stories of the people who have lived here; our early ancestors, to well-known characters like Jack of Newbury to our most recent family: they have created the towns and villages, roads and canals, fields and farms, industries, pastimes and organisations that we know today.
Windsor and Royal Borough Museum[edit | edit source]
- Our accredited museum is part of Libraries Arts and Heritage in the Borough, and is supported by the Friends of Windsor & Royal Borough Museum, the Heritage Lottery Fund and a team of very enthusiastic volunteers.
- The museum covers five themes; The Royal Borough and its settlement, military associations, aeronautical Windsor, working Windsor and childhood.
For a long list of Berkshire museums, go to List of museums in Berkshire in Wikipedia.
Archives[edit | edit source]
Windsor Castle[edit | edit source]
The Royal Archives
Website: The Royal Archives
- The home of the Royal Family
St. George's Chapel Archive and Chapter Library
The College of St George
Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1NJ UK
Telephone: 01753 848 888
Website: St. George's Chapel Archive and Chapter Library
- Located within the Lower Ward, the Vicars' Hall Undercroft houses the extensive and historic collections of books, manuscripts and archival material belonging to the Dean and Canons of Windsor.
Collections[edit | edit source]
Museums and Collections - University of Reading
- A website giving you access to a variety of collections held by museums, archives and libraries. We believe collections enrich independent learning and research for a wide range of age groups and interests.
- The site offers:
- A single ‘first point of call’ for anyone seeking to locate information on research collections held by Berkshire and Reading institutions
- A search facility that allows users to locate specific information across the whole site
- Descriptions of individual collections, recent research and research priorities
- User information on access arrangements and research facilities
- Guidance on further sources of information, including links to object level information and other data sources