Bennington County, Vermont Genealogy
Guide to Bennington County, Vermont ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bennington County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||February 11, 1779|
|Address|| Bennington County Courthouse|
207 South Street, Bennington, VT 05201-2247
Website: Bennington County Vermont
- 1 Description
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Quick Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County is located in the southwest area of the state. 
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death and burial records; County Clerk has divorce records from 1899 and court records from 1861; Probate Judge has probate records.
Towns Organized before 1800:
Winhall 1761 
Created 11 February 1779 from Colonial lands.
- Windham County was set off 22 February 1781.
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Archives and Libraries
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Vermont Cemeteries for more information.|
- List of Bennington County Cemeteries
- List of Pownal Cemeteries: Includes some transcriptions
- Random Acts VT Cemetery Records Research Guide
The Churches of Pownal, Pownal Historical Society, Inc.
Land and Property
Courtesy of The Pownal Historical Society, Inc.:
Courtesy of Pownal Historical Society, Inc.:
- Green Mountain Boys from Pownal | About the Green Mountain Boys
- American Revolution: Soldiers buried in Vermont
- Civil War: Vermont Volunteers
Regiments and Companies:
- - 2nd Regiment, Vermont Infantry
- - 4th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Company A
- - 5th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Company E
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has North Adams, MA newspapers (1895-1977) covering local news that included Windham County residents.
Online Probate Records
- 1749 - 1999 Vermont Wills and Probate Records 1749-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1800 - 1921 Vermont Probate Files 1800-1921 at FamilySearch — images
There are two Bennington County Probate Districts
- Bennington District - Bennington, Glastenbury, Pownal, Readsboro, Searsburg, Shaftsbury, Stamford and Woodford.
- Manchester District - Arlington, Dorset, Landgrove, Manchester, Peru, Rupert, Sandgate, Sunderland and Winhall.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Courtesy of the Pownal Historial Society, Inc.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Bennington Historical Society And Museum
75 West Main Street
Bennington, VT 05201
Dorset Historical Society
PO Box 52
Main St & Rte 30
Dorset, VT 05251
Landgrove Historical Society
PO Box 734
Landgrove, VT 05148
Manchester Historical Society
PO Box 363
Manchester, VT 05254
North Bennington Museum and Historical Society
PO Box 536
North Bennington, VT 05257
Historical Society of Peru
PO Box 73
Peru, VT 05152
Pownal Historical Society
PO Box 313
Pownal, VT 05261
Readsboro Historical Society
PO Box 125
152 Glen Avenue
Readsboro, VT 05350
Rupert Historical Society
PO Box 84
Rupert, VT 05768
Phone: 802-394-7864 or 802-394-7738
Russell Vermontiana Collection
Martha Canfield Library
PO Box 267
528 East Arlington Road
Arlington, VT 05250
Shaftsbury Historical Society
PO Box 401
3871 Vermont 7A
Shaftsbury, VT 05262
Stamford Historical Society
c/o Town Clerk
986 Main Road
Stamford, VT 05352
PO Box 607
Bondville, VT 05340
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Bennington County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Bennington County VTGenWeb Project, an member of The VTGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Wikipedia contributors, "Bennington, Vermont" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennington_County,_Vermont accessed 5 Dec 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 698. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 394. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.