Beltrami County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Beltrami County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Beltrami County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 28, 1866|
|Address|| Beltrami County Courthouse|
619 Beltrami Ave NW
Bemidji, MN 56601-3041
Beltrami County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for the Italian count Giacomo Beltrami, who supposedly explored the area in 1825. The County is located in the north central area of the state.
Beltrami County, Minnesota Record Dates
Court Administrator Customer Service has birth, marriage
and death records from 1896. Clerk Courts has divorce records from 1951,
probate and court records.
Recorder Office has military records.
Historical Society has land records prior to 1969. 
- 1866--Beltrami County was created 28 February 1866 from unorganized territory, Itasca, Pembina (Old), and Polk Counties.
County seat: Bemidji 
- For a brief history of how Beltrami County was named, click here, then select Beltrami County.
For animated maps illustrating Minnesota County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Minnesota County Boundary Maps" (1849-1960) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Alaska Township | Battle Township | Bemidji Township | Benville Township | Birch Township
Buzzle Township | Cormant Township | Durand Township | Eckles Township | Frohn Township
Grant Valley Township | Hagali Township | Hamre Township | Hines Township | Hornet Township
Jones Township | Kelliher Township | Lammers Township | Langor Township | Lee Township
Liberty Township | Maple Ridge Township | Minnie Township | Moose Lake Township
Nebish Township | Northern Township | O'Brien Township | Port Hope Township | Quiring Township
Roosevelt Township | Shooks Township | Shotley Township | Spruce Grove Township
Steenerson Township | Sugar Bush Township | Summit Township | Taylor Township
Ten Lake Township | Turtle Lake Township | Turtle River Township | Waskish Township
Brook Lake | Lower Red Lake | North Beltrami | Shotley Brook | Upper Red Lake
Little Rock | Ponemah | Red Lake | Redby
Pinewood | Puposky | Shooks
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|MNGenWeb Archives||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Beltrami – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Beltrami County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Beltrami County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Beltrami County Historical Society
P.O. Box 683
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Beltrami County, MN History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Beltrami County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Beltrami County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Beltrami County
- Wikipedia contributors, "Beltrami County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltrami_County,_Minnesota accessed 8 Nov 2018
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Beltrami County, Minnesota page 362, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).