Belaugh, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Belaugh, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
History[edit | edit source]
Belaugh is a small village (population 105) that occupies a bend in the River Bure in Norfolk, England - within The Broads National Park. It is accessible only via the road between Hoveton and Coltishall. It contains no pubs, bars or shops. The main civic features are the church of St Peter Belaugh and the Old School, which also belongs to the church and is used for parish council meetings and for celebrating the harvest festival. The local broad is Belaugh Broad. Most of the land around Belaugh - around 850 acres - is owned by the Trafford family, who are Lords of the Manor.
The Domesday Book of 1086 contains one of the earliest recorded mentions of the village, at the time known as Belaga. Other records from around the time name it as Belihagh, Belaw, Bilhagh or Bilough, names based on combinations of Norse, Danish and Anglo-Saxon words that collectively mean 'a dwelling place by the water'.
For local government purposes the village and civil parish is within the Broadland District.
BELAUGH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 1¾ mile (S. E.) from Coltishall. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Belaugh, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Belaugh, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1538-1818||Undefined||1538-1857, 1862-1891||Undefined||1538-1818|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
- 1698-1699 Image 19
- 1705-1706 Image 370
- 1715-1716 Image 1188
- 1715-1716 Image 1217
- 1722-1723 Image 31
The registers date from 1538.
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 249
Parish registers Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library, Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Item 15 Baptisms 1538-1708 Marriages 1538-1704 Burials 1564-1689 Item 16 Baptisms 1709-1743 Marriages 1714-1739 Burials 1695-1742 Item 17 Baptisms and burials 1741-1812 Marriages 1742-1754 Item 18 Marriages 1754-1812 Banns 1757-1857 Item 19 Marriages 1814-1837 Item 20 Banns 1862-1891 FHL BRITISH Film 1596069 Items 15-20
Baptisms 1600-1609, 1623-1634, 1665-1811 Marriages 1600-1608, 1623-1633, 1665-1812 Burials 1600-1608, 1623-1634, 1665-1811 FHL BRITISH Film 1526779 Item 5
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Belaugh on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 199-203. Date accessed: 08 April 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Belaugh', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.