Belarus Jewish Records
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Redirected from Belarus Jewish Research)
|Belarus Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
|Jewish Genealogy Research Wiki Topics|
Maps of Belarus
- To view present-day Belarus at Google Maps, click here.
- For a map showing the percentage of Jews in the Pale of Settlement and Congress Poland, c. 1905, click here.
- To view an additional historical map showing the historical percentage of Jews in governments, click here.
Definition of "Pale of Settlement" from Wikipedia.org:
The Pale of Settlement (Russian: Черта́ осе́длости, chertá osédlosti, Yiddish: דער תּחום-המושבֿ, der tkhum-ha-moyshəv, Hebrew: תְּחוּם הַמּוֹשָב, tḥùm ha-mosháv) was the term given to a region of Imperial Russia in which permanent residency by Jews was allowed and beyond which Jewish permanent residency was generally prohibited. It extended from the eastern pale, or demarcation line, to the western Russian border with the Kingdom of Prussia (later the German Empire) and with Austria-Hungary. The English term "pale" is derived from the Latin word "palus", a stake, extended to mean the area enclosed by a fence or boundary.
Gazetteer of Belarus
Use the JewishGen Communities Database by clicking here.
Jewish History in Belarus
- Lithuanian Jews inhabited what is present-day Belarus. To learn of their history, read the Wikipedia.org article Lithuanian Jews, by clicking here.
- Explore this Jewish genealogy site dedicated to the memory of the Jews exterminated and displaced from the Belarusian Shtetls by the Nazis.
- Explore The YIVO Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe by clicking here.
JewishGen.org Family Finder
Find others, possibly cousins, searching for your family name in the same countries, cities, and villages. Search by clicking JewishGen Family Finder. Free registration required.
The JewishGen Belarus Database
- More than 650,000 records from many different sources: vital records, voter lists, business directories, ghetto records. Requires free registration. To search, click here.
Miriam Weiner Routes to Roots Foundation
- For A Genealogical and Family History guide to Jewish and civil records in Eastern Europe, click here and hover over Belarus.
Archives of Belarus
- View the Archives of Belarus home page by clicking here. Includes a "Contacts" link.
- Discover over 50 web pages of Jewish information available online at the Archives of Belarus by clicking here to search. Follow up by starting a search for the word "Jewish" and clicking the "Search" button.
Help with Belarus Jewish Research
- JewishGen Belarus SIG promotes Jewish genealogy research in Grodno, Minsk, Mogilev and Vitebsk Gubernias as well as the Lida and Vileika uyzeds (districts) of Vilna Gubernia. Visit this page by clicking here.
- Jewish Heritage Research Group In Belarus is a professional researchers who can help with Jewish research in Belarus. Visit this page by clicking here.
- Jewish Family History Research Guide (Courtesy of the Ackman & Ziff Family Genealogy Institute - Revised July 2012)
- Jewish Heritage Research Group in Belarus this site has a blog that gives valuable information such as specific charts.