Bedingfield, Suffolk Genealogy
Guide to Bedingfield, Suffolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
BEDINGFIELD or Bedingfeld, a scattered village, near the source of a rivulet, 4 miles S.S.E. of Eye and N. by E. of Debenham, has in its parish 312 souls, and 1753a. Ir. 7p. of fertile and well-wooded land, in the manors of Bedingfield and Bucks Green. Sir H. R. P. Bedingfeld, Bart, is lord of the former, and H. D. Hemsworth, Esq., of the latter; but the soil belongs chiefly to John L. Bedingfeld, Esq., Lord Henniker, J. Freeman, Esq., and the Shulver, Percy, and a few other families. The Bedingfelds, of Norfolk, took their name from the parish, and were formerly seated here. The manor was held by Snape Priory, and was granted first to Cardinal Wolsey, and afterwards to Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, and in the 7th of Edward VI. to Thomas and George Golding. It passed soon after to the Bedingfelds, who were seated at Fleming* Hall, an old moated house, now occupied by a farmer. Bedingfield Hall, the property of Lord Henniker, is another ancient farm house, still encompassed by a large moat, which was cleansed in 1821, and had a draw bridge till about 20 years ago. The Church (St. Mary) is an ancient fabric, and the benefice is a discharged rectory....
If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Bedingfield and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
Bedingfield, Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|1813 = Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) (findmypast) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Bedingfield, Suffolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
The Parish Registers begin in 1538. They can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are lacking for Bedingfield. See Suffolk Church Records for further details. Bedingfield lies on the border between the Archdeaconry of Suffolk and Sudbury.
There are census records available for Bedingfield from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Bedingfield Censusin the catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in Suffolk.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details about the Census.
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Bedingfield was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District.. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details. Note: Bedingfield shares a border with the Archdeaconry of Sudbury.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other items.
- National gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Bedingfield on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
- William White, 1855, [Suffolk Gazetteers|History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk], page 377-378
- 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Suffolk Baptism Index 1538-1911 Place Index', findmypast, accessed 18 December 2015.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Date accessed: 16 September 2013.