Beaufort District, South Carolina Genealogy
- Not to be confused with Beaufort County 1800-present. From 1800 to 1868 that Beaufort County was also known by the alias of Beaufort District.
In 1785 four counties were formed within the overarching Beaufort District: Granville (1785), Hilton, Lincoln, and Shrewsbury. These counties never became functional, and were abolished in 1798. They were counties in name only. See the 1785 South Carolina Map.
In 1800, South Carolina abolished overarching administrative court districts and went with the county-only concept, However they often called the remaining counties, districts until 1868, after the Civil War. 
For documents of people who lived in this area at this time, look in:
- St. Helena's Parish records since 1712
- Prince William Parish records since 1745
- St. Peter's Parish records since 1747
- St. Luke's Parish records since 1767
- papers filed in the District Seat at Beaufort, South Carolina
- papers filed in the early capital at Charleston, South Carolina.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating South Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation South Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1682-1987) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- "The Counties from 1664 to Present - In Alphabetical Order" in South Carolina - The Counties at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/sc_counties_alphabetical_order.html (accessed 28 April 2011).
- "A History of Beaufort District" in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/beaufort_district_sc.html (accessed 28 April 2011).
- Lewis, J.D., Camden District, South Carolina, http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/camden_district_sc.html : 2007
- "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1775" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1775.html (accessed 7 May 2011).