Beard, Derbyshire Genealogy
Guide to Beard, Derbyshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
New Mills St George Derbyshire
|Poor Law Union||Hayfield|
|Parish registers: 1831|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1844|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Derbyshire Record Office|
Beard is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1844 from Glossop, Derbyshire Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Glossop Dale, Ollersett, Thornsett, and Whittle.
BEARD, a hamlet, in the parish of Glossop, union of Hayfield, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 4½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Chapel-en-le-Frith. 
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described New Mills like this:
NEWMILLS, a village and a chapelry in Glossop parish, Derby.
The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Beard, Thornsett, Whittle, and Ollersett; and is conterminate with the township of Beard. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists, and Roman Catholics.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Beard parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials havehave online indexes by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|Beard (1844) Parish Online Records|
|FS PR's|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
New Mills St George Previously known as Bowden Middle Cale it includes the hamlets of Beard, Ollersett, Thornsett and Whilte and was previously part of Hayfield, Derbyshire chapelry. It was formed as a parish in 1831 with the addition of the chapelry at Mellor, Derbyshire
New Mills St James the Less was a chapel of ease within the parish
Derbyshire Record Office reference D 3492 has deposited registers Bap 1831-1980 Mar 1837-1958 Burials 1832-1962 Banns 1845-1975
Non Conformist Churches
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Primitive Methodist
- Roman Catholic
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 184-187. Date accessed: 24 May 2013.