Battersea St Mary, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Battersea St Mary, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Battersea St Mary, Surrey|
|Poor Law Union||Wandsworth and Clapham|
|Registration District||Croydon; Wandsworth|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1679|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
BATTERSEA (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wandsworth and Clapham, partly in the E., but chiefly in the W., division of the hundred of Brixton, E. division of Surrey, 3 miles (S.) from London. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
Battersea St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Battersea St Mary Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs||
|FS Catalog BTs||
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Surrey History Centre.
Battersea St John parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS BTs = 'England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|Battersea St John Parish Online Records|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Here is a Comprehensive List of Chapels and District Churches in the Civil Parish of St Mary Battersea in the year 1900.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Date accessed: 24 September 2013.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Mary, Battersea in Wandsworth Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Battersea St Mary in Wandsworth Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Battersea St Mary in Wandsworth Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Battersea St Mary in Wandsworth Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batch P015551, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- 'Surrey Marriage Index - Parishes in the index,' British Origins, accessed 18 September 2012.
- 'Greater London Burials: South London Burials: Parishes, Period and Counts,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 12 November 2013.
- 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.