Baton Rouge Louisiana Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
Location Map: Map to Baton Rouge Family History Center
Address: 10335 Highland Rd, Baton Rouge, LA
- The entrance to the Family History Center is at the rear of the first building. Parking is at the door.
- Language: English
Phone: 1-225-769-8913 You can leave a message on our answering machine or you may call my home 225-344-4431.
- Thursday: 1:00pm–4:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00pm-12:00pm
Closed 2018: :Mar 31, Jul 20-28, Oct 6, Nov 22-24, Dec 20-Dec 29.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- Patrons' Microfiche Collection -- a collection of fiche ordered by our patrons, assorted titles. Contain family histories, vital records, and other types of information.
- Indefinite Film Collection -- a collection of over a thousand films on a variety of subjects, to include vital records, county records, court records, etc. Our locality listing of our films will help you identify films you want to investigate..
- Book Collection: -- Our book room has about 500 books, including Father Hebert's Catholic Church records of South Louisiana and the published Catholic Diocese records of both New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Our listings of books by locality and surname will help you identify books you want to investigate.
- List of surname books
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Secure Wi-Fi access for your electronic devices.
- 2 microfilm readers and 2 microfiche readers.
- 3 computers are available for patron use. Bring your thumb drive
- Printer and printer/copier which prints both sides.
- Our Minolta film reader allows patrons to view microfilms and take pictures using your camera or cell phone.
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties.[edit | edit source]
- Researching Acadian ancestry.
- Researching South Louisiana Indian ancestry.
Resources in the Local Area
[edit | edit source]
- The Goodwood Library houses the genealogy collection for the East Baton Rouge Parish Public Library.
- Local Genealogy Societies
- LSU Hill Memorial Library
- Guide to Louisiana Genealogical Research
- Louisiana State Archives
- Le Comité des Archives de la Louisiane
Links[edit | edit source]
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
We are seeking a couple to take a three hour shift once a month. A staff member will be with you until you feel comfortable in the center alone.