Bath County, Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Bath County, Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Bath County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|County Seat||Warm Springs|
- 1 Bath County Virginia Courthouse
- 2 Bath County Virginia History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Bath County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 African Americans
- 4.3 Bible Records
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church Records
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land and Property
- 4.10 Local Histories
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Miscellaneous Records
- 4.14 Naturalization
- 4.15 Newspapers
- 4.16 Petitions
- 4.17 Probate Records
- 4.18 Taxation
- 4.19 Vital Records
- 5 Bath County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Bath County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Bath County Virginia Genealogy References
Bath County Virginia Courthouse
Bath County Courthouse
P.O. Box 180
Warm Springs, VA 24484-0180
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records 1854-1880
Death records 1854-1870 divorce records, probate, land and court records from 1791
Bath County Virginia History
For animated maps illustrating Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- Lost censuses: 1800, 1890
Bath County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Bath County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 4, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1960):128-131. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 B2vg. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-1872
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
For a more detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Bath County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Bath County:
The Genealogy Center of the Allen County Public Library has a number of Bath County, Virginia cemetery databases on-line.
For tips on accessing Bath County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Va., 1785 Enumeration. Troutville, Va.: Burton?, 1972. Available at FHL US/CAN Book and FHL US/CAN Film 928249 Item 2, links to digital version included. [All or part of present-day county of Bath is included.]
1790 - Lost
1800 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation
- Crickard, Madeline W. 1810 Census of Bath County, Virginia. Beverly, W. Va.: Crickard, 1968?. Available at FHL US/CAN Access Services Window 6015642; collection with index and images available at Ancestry ($).
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Bath County, Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2004. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website.
1890 Union Veterans
- "Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890." Prince William County Virginia, by Ronald Ray Turner. FHL Collection.
More than a dozen genealogies have been published about Bath County, Virginia families. For a list, see Bath County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies.
Land and Property
Grants and Patents
- Sims, Edgar Barr. Sims Index to Land Grants in West Virginia. [Springfield, Virginia]: Genealogical Books in Print, c1992. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.4 R22w 1992. [Includes Bath County, Virginia.]
- McAllister, Jean Graham. A Brief History of Bath County, Virginia. Staunton, Va.: McClure Co., 1920. Available at FHL US/CAN Film 1698153 Item 10; digital version at Google Books (full-view); collection with index and images at Ancestry ($).
- McAllister, Joseph Thompson. Historical Sketches of Virginia Hot Springs, Warm Sulphur Springs and Bath County, Virginia. Salem, Va.: Salem Printing and Publishing Company, 1908. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Morton, Oren Frederic. Annals of Bath County, Virginia. Staunton, Va.: McClure Co., 1917. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.587 H2m and FHL US/CAN Film 1033746 Item 5; digital versions at Google Books (full-view); and Archive.org ($); collection with index and images at Ancestry ($).
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Bath County on page 134.]
War of 1812
Bath County men served in the 81st Regiment.
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Bath County, p. 63.]
Regiments. Service men in Bath County, Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Bath County, Virginia Genealogy:
- - 11th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry. Company F (The Bath Grays) and Company G (The Bath Guards).
- - 18th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company G.
- - 25th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Heck's) (Confederate). Company B (Bath Grays).
- - 26th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company E.
- - 47th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Companies A and B.
- - 52nd Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company K (Bath Rifles).
Records and histories are available, including:
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index ($)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index ($)
Virginia Naturalization Petitions, 1906-1929
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Bath County, Virginia Genealogy newspapers.
- Professor Tom Costa and The Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia have created a database of all runaway advertisements for slaves, indentured servants, transported convicts, and ship deserters listed in the Virginia Gazette and other Virginia newspapers (1736-1803), see: The Geography of Slavery in Virginia.
- Bath County News-Outlook - full text of more than 100 issues freely available via Google Newspaper Archive
- Eckenrode, H.J. Virginia State Library: A Calendar of Legislative Petitions Arranged by Counties Accomac - Bedford. Richmond, Va.: Davis Bottom, Superintendent of Public Printing, 1908. Digital version at Google Books. [Bath County petitions (1777-1863) are described on pp. 194-210.]
A free index to Bath County, Virginia Genealogy wills and administrations (1791-1800) is available at the Library of Virginia website.
- Bruns, Jean R. Abstracts of the Wills and Inventories of Bath County, Virginia, 1791-1842. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1995. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.587 P28b; digital version at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- 1791-1813; 1813-1822; 1822-1830 Images of Wills, Estates, Inventories, Bonds, Deeds Virginia Pioneers ($)
Online Probate Records
- 1639 – 1850 Virginia Land, Marriage and Probate Records 1639-1850 at Ancestry.com — index to transcribed records, $
- 1793 - Tax List, Delinquent, 1793, Bath County Heritage Newsletter, Issue 15 (Fall 1987).
- 1800 - "Bath County, Virginia, 1800 Tax List," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 7, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1963):21-28. FHL 975.5 B2vg; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- 1815 - Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL 975 E4w v. 5 [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Bath County is included in Vol. 5.]
Indexes to Bath County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- 1853-1896 - Fridley, Beth, comp. Bath County, Virginia Births: 1853-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000. Available at Ancestry ($).
- 1853-1870 - Bath County Birth Index 1853-1870. Batch C868574 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1660-1800 - Virginia Marriages 1660-1800 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1790-1889 - Bath County Marriage Index. Batch M868572 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1853-1870 - Bath County Death Index 1853-1870. Batch B868574 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Bath County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Bath County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Bath County, Virginia USGENWEB
- Bath County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Familytree101)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List
Bath County Virginia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bath County, Virginia. Page 710 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Bath County, Virginia," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_County,_Virginia, accessed 13 January 2012.
- USGS Map, Topozone.com
- Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 50. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 11th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 52.
- Roger U. Delauter, 18th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1985). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 18.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 25th Virginia Infantry and 9th Battalion Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1990). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 71.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 26th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 110.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 26th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 110.
- Robert J. Driver, 52nd Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 23 and supp.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.