Bartow County Genealogical Society and Family Research Library
Address: 101 North Erwin Street Cartersville, Ga. 30120
Post Office Address: P.O. Box 993, Cartersville, Ga. 30120-0993
Facebook: Bartow County Genealogy Society
Library Hours: Wednesday-Friday 10:00 A.M. till 3:30 P.M.
Services: 3 computers, 2 scanners; family histories; microfilmed newspapers
Directions: From Atlanta, go north on Interstate 75 North to exit 288. Turn left on Ga.113 (Main St.) and proceed toward downtown. After passing Applebee's restaurant, turn right on Church St.; cross over highway 41, cross Tennessee St.; go over bridge,then turn right at the four-way stop. We are located in the Arts Center building on the right. Ample parking is available. A handicap entrance is available at the front of the building.
Membership: Open to any person regardless of residence, age, race, creed, or age who is interested in genealogy or the history of this area; dues are $20 per year and includes 4 quarterlies.
Meetings: Open to the general public and held at 2:00 P.M. on the first Sunday of each month at the Bartow County Family Research Library. If the first Sunday falls on a holiday weekend, the meeting is held the following Sunday. No December meeting!
An organizational meeting was convened in January 1992 with the expressed purpose of forming the first genealogical society in Bartow County. Records indicate that 26 people attended the meeting held at the public library. Mrs. Rita Linker, county librarian, acted as host.
The Bartow County Genealogical Society was officially organized on January 22, 1992. The following officers were elected: Jean Belew, President; Linda Gossett Cochran, Vice-President; Martha Hale; Secretary; and Jerry Bohannon, Treasurer. The groundwork and goals developed by its charter members have served the Society well. Shortly after the organization, the Society began to sponsor a Family Research Library that now houses numerous genealogical records.
- Create an interest in genealogical research and local history by presenting informative programs
- Promote the collection and preservation of family records, manuscripts, and other documents of genealogical value
- Encourage and acquaint the Society members with sources of material and serve as a medium for exchange of genealogical information
- Publish and distribute information on records that has been collected
Publications for Sale:
- Bartow County Georgia Heritage Book, Volume I and II
- Favorites From Our Table Cookbook
- Bartow County Genealogical Society Quarterly,1992-2013
Obituaries Abstracted from The News and Courant (Jul-Dec 1901) by Editor of BCGS quarterly
1. McCrary, Mrs. Martha – no death date listed; Buried August 6, 1902. Brought from Lebanon, TN. to Kingston for interment where she and husband were raised. Husband-S.R. McCrary; Uncle is AV Sheats
2. Jones, Lena Nell, only child of Melvin and Pearl Jones; b. 8 Nov 1899; d. 13 Sept 1901
3. Lowery, Agnes, d /o Mr. & Mrs. T.C. Lowery, b. 21 Nov 1900; died 15 Sept 1901
4. Mayson, 19 mo old s/o Mr. & Mrs. J.W. Mayson died Oct. 2, 1901
5. Neal, Mary Ann b. Mar. 7, 1824 in Anderson, S.C.; died 27 Sep 1901 at Cartersville. Married Joseph
Neal. Moved to Cartersville from Adairsville in 1882
6. Kay infant, d/o Mrs. W.P. Kay, born last week of Sept. 1901
7. Carter, Harriett, died 31 Sept. 1901. 96 yrs. old; Corbin community; husband died several yrs. earlier
8. Chitwood, infant of Mr. & Mrs. George Chitwood; Buried Sun. 27 Sept 1901 at family plot.
9. Mrs. J.T. Gibson died 11 Oct 1901 in Rome, Ga. at son’s Fletcher Smith home. Interred at Oak Hill; Previous marriage to Samuel Smith
10. Taylor, Fannie Madge, 7y.o. daughter of T.J. Taylor, died 4 Oct 1901
11. Bailey, Joshua A. died 12 Oct 1901 at 58yr of age. Confederate Vet. Member of Methodist church
12. Rice, Keziah, w/o Rev A.H. Rice, died 24 Oct. 1901; interment at Cassville Cem.; d/o George H.
Gilreath; previous marriage to Mr. McDonald
13. Roberts, Mrs., died while on visit to J.T. Bentley, son-in-law. Returned to Cherokee Co. for burial
14. Spencer, John, died at Rome, Floyd Co. Ga. 28 Oct 1901; Buried at Oak Hill; s/o of Seaborn Spencer who came to Cartersville from Chattanooga in 1875
15. Howard, Nora Myrtle, 4 y.o. d/o Mr. & Mrs. R.Z. Howard, died 21 Oct. 1901 after 12 day illness
16. Richards, N.G., a son was born- no date- in 31 Oct 1901 edition
17. Upshaw, Rosa; d/o Mr. & Mrs. Jack Upshaw, died 13 Oct 1901
18. Jolly, Little Lee died 4 Oct. 1901
19. Sheats, Mrs. Louise Evelyn Irby; died 25 Sept 1901
20. Quarles, Catherine, widow of David Quarles, died 16 Nov. 1901; Buried Raccoon Cem. Born 1818; Mother of 10
21. Brownlow, Lem, s/o late Wimpy Brownlow, died Wed. Nov 13. 1901 near Kingston
22. Harwell, John Francis died 15 Nov. 1901. Born in Habersham Co. NC; Father Buck Harwell; Skilled blacksmith; Methodist. Bros. & Sis listed. Unmarried
23. Griffin, Annie, died at Monroe, NC 4 Dec 1901; w/o EM Griffin. Previously married to CF Griffin; d/o Capt. Moreton of Chattooga Co. Ga. Leaves 4 children
24. McEver, Ernest, s/o Mr. & Mrs. George McEver, died 1 Dec. 1901
25. Goodson, Harry, s/o Mr. & Mrs. J.O. Goodson, died 3 Dec. 1901. Lived at Corbin