Barton, Orleans County, Vermont Genealogy
The town of Barton was chartered on October 20, 1789 by the Vermont Legislature. The town includes two incorporated villages, Barton and Orleans.
Barton was originally to have been granted in 1781 and named for Providence, Rhode Island, the home of many of the grantees (sixty Revolutionary War veterans, among them the American Naval hero, John Paul Jones).
It was not until eight years later that the charter was actually issued, and named for Colonel William Barton (first-named grantee), who planned and executed the capture of British General Prescott in 1777, considerably lessening the pressure on Washington's troops in New Jersey.
A history of Barton, Vermont by Darlene Young (1998) - find this book in a library.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
Orleans Probate Division
247 Main Street
Newport, VT · 05855
Phone: (802) 334-3305
- Barton, Vermont St. John the Baptist Mission Parish Register, 1910-1918, is available on microfilm at the Family History Library.
- Manual of the First Congregational Church in Barton, Vermont (1909) can be viewed online.
- Centennial book of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Barton,Vermont (1928) is available on microfilm at the Family History Library.
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Barton. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Orleans County, website at this link.
- Heath Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- North Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Saint Pauls Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- South Barton-Willoughby Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Welcome O. Brown Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1857 -2000, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Barton Town Clerk's Office. These include Vital records of Barton, Vermont, 1857-July 2000, Record of births, deaths, and marriages, Barton, Vermont, 1775 to 1860, and Town records, 1789-1890.
Town of Barton
34 Main St.
Barton, VT 05822
Phone: (802) 525-6222
Libraries and Historical Societies
Barton Public Library
100 Church St.
PO Box 549
Barton, VT 05822
Phone: (802) 525-6524
Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.
- About Barton, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/barton.html#about
- Barton, Vermont - Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barton,_Vermont
- Barton, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/OrleansBarton.html