Barrington, Yates County, New York Genealogy
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Cemeteries
- 2.2 Church Records
- 2.3 Repositories
- 2.4 Town Records
- 2.5 Vital Records
- 2.6 References
- 2.7 Places
Historical Facts[edit | edit source]
The Town of Barrington is located in the southwest corner of the county.
Communities: Barrington, Crosby, Crystal Spring, Eggleston Point, Keuka Lake Church, Porter Corner, Six Corners
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
- Catharine Aspell Spencer and Annette Shattuck McCullough, Those we remember in counties of Yates, Ontario, Schuyler, Steuben, New York State FHL film 1479822 Items 4-5
- Catharine Aspell Spencer, Those we remember in Yates, Ontario, Schuyler, Steuben, New York State FHL Film 1255691 Item 4
- Helen Stark, Gravestone inscriptions from some Yates County, N.Y., cemeteries (Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1941), FHL 269179
List and address source 
Barrington[edit | edit source]
This appears to be same as Porters Corners, per description of location.
Barrington Baptist[edit | edit source]
north side of Charles Vanorden Road, west of NYS Route 230.
Bartholomew[edit | edit source]
Just off east of John Green Road, north of NYS State Route 230
Chrisler Family[edit | edit source]
South of Knapp Road, further north of Clark and Wolcott Cemeteries.
Clark Family[edit | edit source]
South of Knapp Road, near Wolcott Cemetery
Crane Family[edit | edit source]
north side of Bath Road, southwest of intersection of Bath Road and Keuka Vista Road
Finton Family[edit | edit source]
North of Welker Road, west of Bath Road.
Knapp[edit | edit source]
Off south of Keuka Vista Road, west of Bath Road.
Kress[edit | edit source]
Southwest of intersection of Porters Corners Road and John Green Road
Lane Family[edit | edit source]
South of Bellis Road and west of Ballard Road.
Loomis[edit | edit source]
West of a private lane, north of Chubb Hollow Road, west of intersection of Chubb Hollow Road and Moon Hill Road
Merritt[edit | edit source]
off Chubb Hollow Road, south of Barrington-Milo Town Line.
Norris[edit | edit source]
East of Andrews Hill Road, south of intersection of same road and Keuka Vista Road
Porters Corners[edit | edit source]
Northeast of intersection of John Green Road and Porters Corners Road. Is largest cemetery in the town of Barrington. Sometimes referred to as Methodist, Ovenshire or even Barrington.
Putnam[edit | edit source]
South of Gray Road, closer to Bath Road, than to Ballard Road.
Spink[edit | edit source]
West of Pre-Emption Road, north of Bossard Road.
Wolcott Family[edit | edit source]
South of Knapp Road, near Clark Cemetery
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Repositories[edit | edit source]
Archives, Libraries and Museums[edit | edit source]
32 Water Street
Dundee, New York 14837
Hours: Monday - Thursday 1 - 7 pm
Friday 10 am - 5 pm; Saturday 10 am - 2 pm
Societies[edit | edit source]
Dundee Area Historical Society
26 Seneca Street
Dundee, New York 14837
Large collection of obituaries, cemetery records and genealogical information with a concentration on the south end of the county: towns of Starkey and Barrington and the village of Dundee.
Town Clerk[edit | edit source]
Barrington Town Clerk
4424 Old Bath Road
Penn Yan, New York 14527
Hours: Tuesday - Friday: Noon - 5 pm
The town lost many records due to a fire. The following have been microfilmed, and except for the Vital Records, they may be viewed at the County Historian's office in Penn Yan or at the New York State Library in Albany.
- 1890 - 1972 Assessment Rolls (missing 1896-8, 1900-7 and 1913)
- 30 Dec 1942 - 28 Dec 1992 Minute Books
- 1883-1915 Vital Records Registers and various indexes
- 1826-1851 Highway Survey Books
- 1901-1964 Chattel Mortgages; 1924-1964 Conditional Sales
- 1862-1944 Overseers and Poormasters Book; poor persons relieved and children placed out 1923-1935; welfare fund 1928-1942.
Town Historian[edit | edit source]
Town Records[edit | edit source]
To locate additional published and transcribed records for Barrington, Yates County, New York Genealogy check:
- Gordon L. Remington, New York Towns, Villages, and Cities: A Guide to Genealogical Sources (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2002). American Ancestors online edition; At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974.7 D27r. Alphabetical list including date founded, if a town history exists, church and cemetery sources, and if a Civil War register (TCR) exists. The codes used under Church and Cemetery are defined in the link above the listing of towns, cities and villages.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Places[edit | edit source]