Barley with Wheatley Booth, Pendle, Lancashire Genealogy
Barley is a village in the borough of Pendle, in Lancashire, England. It is in the parish of Barley-with-Wheatley Booth. The village lies between Black Moss Reservoirs and Lower Ogden Reservoir.
After a cow farm was established around 1266, Barley earned its livelihood from agriculture. This continued up until the 18th century. During the 18th century textiles began to be manufactured as an extra source of income. The brooks around Barley offered an effective source of waterpower which lead to the building of several cotton factories. Small mills were build at Narrowgates and Barley Green. At its height, Barley Green Mill had 200 looms, until floods destroyed the building in 1880. A cotton twist mill at Narrowgates was built by William Hartley to spin cotton warp thread. Weavers cottages were built adjacent to the mill and are still occupied to this day.
The Pendle Inn and the Barley Mow are situated in the village.
Poor Law Unions