Bardsey Island, Gwynedd Genealogy
The Welsh name means "The Island in the Currents", although its English name refers to the "Island of the Bards", or possibly the island of the Viking chieftain, "Barda".
It is 0.6 miles (1.0 km) wide and 1.0 mile (1.6 km) long. The north east rises steeply from the sea to a height of 548 feet (167 m) at Mynydd Enlli, while the western plain is low and relatively flat cultivated farmland; to the south the island narrows to an isthmus, connecting to a peninsula.
History[edit | edit source]
The island has been an important religious site since Saint Cadfan built a monastery in 516. In medieval times it was a major centre of pilgrimage and, by 1212, belonged to the Augustinian Canons Regular. The monastery was dissolved and its buildings demolished by Henry VIII in 1537, but the island remains an attraction for pilgrims to this day .
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica: Bardsey Island
- Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1849, S Lewis and Co, London, 474 pages
- Cycling North Wales: Cycle Ride from Aberdaron
- Gwynedd Archaeological Trust: Bardsey
- Ordnance Survey: Election Maps: Gwynedd
- British Broadcasting Corporation: Island of 20,000 Saints
- University College London Institute of Archaeology: Bardsey Island
- Bardsey Island Trust: The Island: History