Baraga County, Michigan Genealogy
Guide to Baraga County, Michigan ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Baraga County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||February 19, 1875|
|Address|| Baraga County Courthouse |
16 North 3rd St.
L’Anse, MI 49946
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Obituaries
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Baraga County, Michigan Record Dates
For animated maps illustrating Michigan county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Michigan County Boundary Maps" (1790-1897) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- City: none
- Villages: Baraga | L’Anse
- Townships: Arvon | Baraga | Covington | L’Anse | Spurr
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
- Communities: Alberta | Arnheim | Assinins | Aura | Bear Town | Covington | Herman | Huron Bay | Imperial Heights | Keweenaw Bay | Nestoria | Pelkie | Pequaming | Skanee | Three Lakes | Tioga | Tunis | Vermilac | Watton | Zeba
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Michigan Cemeteries for more information.|
Michigan Cemetery Sources Search for cemeteries in Michigan by county and/or township.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Michigan denominations, view the Michigan Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Michigan Land and Property for additional information about early Michigan land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Baraga County, Michigan Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Michigan Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Baraga County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Baraga County.
Finding More Michigan Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Baraga County, Michigan Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- 1820-2006 - Michigan Obituaries, 1820-2006 at FamilySearch — index and images
- MIGenWeb Archives: Baraga County Obituary Transcriptions
In most counties in Michigan, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate packets, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Michigan, Baraga and search for Probate records in the list.
- Note: Not every county in Michigan will have Probate Records in the FamilySearch Catalog.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1980 Michigan Wills and Probate Records 1784-1980 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1797 – 1973 Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973 at FamilySearch — images
See also How to order Michigan Vital Records
P.O. Box 567
Baraga, MI 49908
PHONE: (906) 353-8444 or (906) 353-6810
The Baraga County Historical Museum has a complete record of all BIRTHS, MARRIAGES, DEATHS, in Baraga County from 1875 to 1950s. For information prior to 1875, records of birth, marriages and deaths would be in the Houghton County files. The Museum also has a large photograph collection that may be copied for families searching for their roots.
The Museum also has the Strieter scrapbook which was Mrs. Strieter’s collection of photographs and newspaper clippings of all babies born in her birthing home. This book unfortunately has been badly vandalized and is not available to the general public for review; however, Museum volunteers will search it for you.
- 1867-1902 - Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- 1868-1925 - Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- 1867-1897 - Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Anvon Township Historical Society
Laird Township Historical Society
Sturgeon Valley Historical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Baraga County, MI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Michigan Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Baraga County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Baraga County MI Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 369-384. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Baraga County, Michigan page 343, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).