Ballston Spa, Saratoga County, New York Genealogy
Quick Facts[edit | edit source]
Ballston Spa is a village in Saratoga County, New York, United States. It is the county seat of Saratoga County.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
- 1793-1853 - Records of Christ Church (Episcopal): At Ballston Spa, New York. 1920s. Digital version at Ancestry ($). Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths, Communicants, Families.
Churches of Ballston Spa, New York.
There is a Baptist church that dates back to 1791 and adopted the members of the First Stillwater Church. Although there was a growing membership and they were always housed, it wasn’t until 1835 that an official building was built. The second church in the area was the Episcopal Church which was organized in 1810. A small sub-group was formed to accommodate the people passing though town and a small St. Paul’s Church was formed in 1805 under Rev. Joseph Perry. The congregation was named ‘The Rector, Wardens and Vestrymen of St. Paul’s Church in the village of Ballston Spa’. This small branch was incorporated back into the larger Episcopal Church in 1817.
The Presbyterian Church in Ballston Spa was first formed in 1834 by mainly members of the old Ballston Church. The site of the church was purchased and construction was done in 1835. The building would undergo reconstruction and additions were added over the years. A school attached to this building that was moved to another location in the 1860’s due to lack of space for the growing number of students.
The Methodist Episcopal Church is part of the Saratoga Springs Circuit, which has records starting in 1791 but records for the Ballston Spa location do not start until 1832. The official society of the ‘First Methodist Episcopal Society of Ballston Spa, N.Y.’ was formed in July 6, 1836 in the county Court House. They maintained services at a met in the ‘the Academy’ which they refurbished until they moved in 1845 to the site of the present day church site.
The Protestant Methodist Church was organized in 1858 and by the following year they had built a frame structure to hold services in. The church did not last more than five years and the meeting house was demolished in 1862. There is virtually no records left of this church.