Bakersfield California East Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
There are three Family History Centers in the Bakersfield area. Ours is located on the East side of Bakersfield.
Location and Map[edit | edit source]
- 5600 Panorama Blvd. Bakersfield California 93306-2473 United States
Holiday Schedule: We are closed for a week at Thanksgiving. Two weeks in December for Christmas, the same time the schools are off. One week for Easter. The last two weeks in August just before school starts. We are also closed the week of the 4th of July.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Something New!!!!! FamilyTree [edit | edit source]
We now have FamilyTree on the internet. You can access this site at our center, or at your home. You can get on this site at www.familysearch.org/ You will need to sign in. If you do not yet have a user name and password, you can sign up at the same web page. On this site you can search millions of names. You can add to these names or even edit incorrect data. Also at this site you can search millions of records that are being scanned into the internet every day from the records housed in Salt Lake. Everything on the web site is available FREE of charge.
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Catalog: We can help the patron find the records they need for their research that are found on films or fiche from the Catalog. The patron then orders the films or fiche through the new "Online Film Ordering Program" mainly from their home.
- We have a large collection of Mexico records. We have the Indian Dawes Final Rolls. We also have the microfilms of the "Germans From Russia". We have a good collection of "Quaker Records."
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Hardware and Equipment
- In our Center we have 11 Computers with 3 printers. All having access to the Internet with all of the Church's programs and free Ancestry.com. We have 6 microfilm readers and one microfiche reader.
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
Resources in the Local Area
[edit | edit source]
Links[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.