Austria Civil Registration
|Austria Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Civil Registration (Zivilstandsregister)[edit | edit source]
Civil registration is births, marriages, marriage supplements, deaths, family registers kept by the government.
Time Coverage[edit | edit source]
- Births and deaths began throughout on 1 January 1939. Civil registration of marriages started on 1 August 1938; however, marriages celebrated between 1 August 1938 and 31 December 1938 were conducted at regional district offices (Bezirkshauptmannschaften).
- Civil registration began in Hungary in 1895 and those parts of the modern federal province of Burgenland which were then part of Hungary will have civil registration records.
Information Content[edit | edit source]
Births[edit | edit source]
- Name of child
- Date and place of birth;
- Names, residence, and occupation of parents.
Marriages[edit | edit source]
- Occupations of groom and bride;
- Sometimes date and place of birth and/or ages,
- Parents' names,
- Date and place of marriage,
- Residences, occupations, names of witnesses and officer who performed ceremony.
Marriage Supplements[edit | edit source]
- Names of marriage partners,
- Documents showing proofs of births, deaths, prior marriages or divorces, proclamations, contracts, etc.
Death Registers[edit | edit source]
- Date and place of death
- Name of surviving spouse,
- Name and residence of informant,
- Cause of death,
- Sometimes date and place of birth, names of parents, names of children.
Accessing the Records[edit | edit source]
To obtain a certificate, you need to contact the registry office which registered the event. For Vienna only Municipal Department 35 provides the relevant service. To find an address for a local registry use the Austrian Government Help Portal.