Austria Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Austria Births and Baptisms, 1651-1940
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Austria|
|Location of Austria in Europe|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
Index to selected Austria births and baptisms. Only a few localities are included and the time period varies by locality. Due to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
What Can These Tell Me?
The information in these records usually include the following:
The Coverage Table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
|Locality||Births and Baptisms, 1651-1940||Marriages, 1722-1898||Burials, 1768-1918|
How Do I Search This Collection?
When searching, it is helpful to know at least one of the following:
- Your ancestor's name
- An estimated event year
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find other records such as marriage, death, or census records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Consult the Austria Record Finder to find other records
- Try viewing any original indexes to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Check for variations of given names and surnames. It was not uncommon for an individual to be listed under a nickname, middle name, or abbreviation of their given name
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Austria.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Österreich Geburten und Taufen, 1651-1940." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.