Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Austria|
|Coat of arms of Vienna|
|Location of Vienna, Austria|
|Location of Austria in Europe|
|Title in the Language:||Österreich, Wien, jüdischen Register der Geburten, Heiraten und Sterbefälle, 1784-1911|
- 1 Title in the Language of the Record
- 2 What is in This Collection?
- 3 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 4 Collection Content
- 5 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 6 What Do I Do Next?
- 7 Known Issues With This Collection
- 8 Citing This Collection
- 9 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
Title in the Language of the Record
Österreich, Wien, jüdischen Register der Geburten, Heiraten und Sterbefälle, 1784-1911
What is in This Collection?
This Collection will include records from 1850 to 1896. It consists of registers of births, marriages, deaths, and some burials for the Jewish Community of Vienna (Israelitische Kultusgemeinde Wien).
Reading These Records
For help reading these German records see the following guides:
- German Language and Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The information in these records usually include the following:
How Do I Search This Collection?
When searching it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's name
- Age and or residence
- An estimated event year
- A parent's name
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select City or Town
- Select Record Type
- Select Item Description to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the age in the record to find an approximate birth year, which will help you find their other records
- Use the information to find your ancestors in civil records. There may not be census records available but these can help you find additional family members
- Repeat this process with additional family members found to find more generations of the family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Consult the Austria Record Finder to find other records
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Austria.
Known Issues With This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Österreich, Niederösterreich, Wien, Matriken der Israelitischen Kultusgemeinde, 1784-1911." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org :23 February 2018. Israelitischen Kultusgemeinde Wien (Jewish Community of Vienna) Municipal and Provinical Archives of Vienna, Austria.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.