Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Miscellaneous City Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Miscellaneous City Records, 1485-1894
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Linz, Upper Austria, Austria|
|Flag of the Republic of Austria|
|Upper Austria Coat of Arms|
|Location of Linz, Upper Austria, Austria|
|Location of Austria in Europe|
|Title in the Language:||Österreich, Oberösterreich, Linz, ausgewählte Bestände des Landesarchivs 1485-1894|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes miscellaneous city records in upper Austria, Linz, from 1485-1894. The collection will include records such as court records, orphan records, marriage contracts, citizenship records, and account books. The original records are located in the Upper Austrian State Archives in Linz, Austria.
Reading These Records
For help reading these German records see the following guides:
- German Language and Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Miscellaneous City Records, 1485-1894.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of Applicant
- Age of Applicant
- Date of Birth
- Place of Origin
- Occupation of Applicant
- Date and Place of Issue
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Quellengattung, Zeitraum, und Bandnummer to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Miscellaneous City Records, 1485-1894. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Carefully evaluate each piece of information given
- Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details
- Add this new information to your records of each family
- Look for leads to other records about your ancestors
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the surnames
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life (for example: they may have gone by their middle name)
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date
- Search the records of nearby counties places
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Austria.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Österreich, Oberösterreich, Linz, ausgewählte Bestände des Landesarchivs 1485-1894." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Oberosterreichisches Landesarchiv (Upper Austrian Provincial Archives), Linz, Austria.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.