Australia, Tasmania, Correspondence of the Immigration Office Concerning the Nomination, Arrival and Settlement of Migrants (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Australia, Tasmania, Correspondence of the Immigration Office Concerning the Nomination, Arrival and Settlement of Migrants, 1920-1943 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Australia|
|Location of Tasmania, Australia|
|Tasmanian Archives & Heritage|
What is in This Collection?
This collection will include records from 1920-1943.
These records include files of documents and correspondence pertaining to immigration to Tasmania, Australia. The records contain a handwritten index of the various correspondence materials on index cards. The rest of the material is compiled in different packets with varied forms that contain much more than just correspondence. There are at least 15 different forms and letters that contain various identifying and personal information about the individual. The original records are located in the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office, Hobart, Australia.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Australia, Tasmania, Correspondence of the Immigration Office Concerning the Nomination, Arrival and Settlement of Migrants, 1920-1943.|
Immigration records may contain the following information:
- Name of individual
- Date of departure and vessel
- Booking information
- Color of Eyes
- Photo (in some cases)
- Address and country of origin
- Witnesses of payment with their address
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Marital Status
- Full name of spouse
- Spouse’s age, occupation, residence
- Names of children and their genders
- Names of next-of-kin and their addresses
- Names and addresses of parents if next-of-kin were under-age
- Medical exams
How Do I Search This Collection?
To search this collection, it is helpful to know the following information:
- Ancestor’s given name and surname
- Approximate year of immigration
- Residence, age or family relationships
To browse by image:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page. ⇒Select the appropriate 'File Number and Name of Person' which will take you to the images.
Look at the images one at a time, comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Australia, Tasmania, Correspondence of the Immigration Office Concerning the Nomination, Arrival and Settlement of Migrants, 1920-1943. Click on camera icon to see images.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have found the record of the ancestor that you are looking for, the following will be able to help you in your research:
- Use the date of birth found in the record to search for a birth record in the Australia, Births and Baptisms collection
- If your ancestor was married at the time of immigration, the name of the spouse may be included in the immigration record. Search for the marriage in the Australia, Marriages, 1810-1980 FamilySearch collection
- When you have found the birth date or the name of the spouse, you can look for a marriage date, death date or birth date in the Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration, 1803-1933 collection
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
- Check for variant spellings of the names
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
“Australia, Tasmania, Correspondence of the Immigration Office Concerning the Nomination, Arrival and Settlement of Migrants, 1920-1943” Images. “FamilySearch.“ http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office, Hobart.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records.
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.