Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration of Births (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration of Births, 1899-1912
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Australia|
|Flag of Tasmania|
|Location of Tasmania, Australia|
|Record Type||Civil Registration of Births|
|Tasmanian Department of Justice|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues With This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
These records include civil registration of births in Tasmania, Australia. Original records are kept in the Tasmania Department of Justice in Hobart, Australia. Though this record collection covers the years 1899 to 1912, civil registration in Tasmania began in late 1838.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration of Births, 1899-1912.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of child
- Date and place of birth
- Name and surname of father
- Name and Maiden name of Mother
- Father’s occupation
- Date of registration
How Do I Search This Collection?
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times. To begin your search for birth records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of parents
- Approximate year of birth or baptism
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Place
- Select Record Type
- Select Year Range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration of Births, 1899-1912. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Look at an image of the original record. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index or transcription. To find a copy of the original record, visit the Tasmanian Department of Justice page
- Use the information you have found to find the person a census record.
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Quite a few births were registered without a given name. It is possible to find the names by doing the following:
- Look at the civil register to see if a name was added after the index was created
- Look at the civil register to see if a note was added about where the child was baptized and his or her given name
- Search additional records, such as marriage, newspapers or obituaries, to decide by a preponderance of evidence the probable name of the child
Consult the Australia Record Finder to find other records
Known Issues With This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration of Births, 1899-1912." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 22 September 2016. Citing The Tasmania Department of Justice, Hobart.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.