Australia, South Australia, School Admission Registers - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Australia, South Australia, School Admission Registers, 1873-1985
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|South Australia, Australia|
|Flag of Australia|
|Flag of state of South Australia|
|Location of South Australia, Australia|
|Attorney General of South Australia|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
In this collection are school admission records of South Australia including information of students and their parents/guardians covering 1873-1985. From 1885 head teachers were required to keep school records which include admission registers. In this set of records students born more than 115 years ago will have images accompanying them.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of School
- Sex of Student
- Date of Admission
- Name of Student
- Date of Birth of Student
- Name of Parent or Guardian
- Occupation of Parent or Guardian
- Place of Residence of Student
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Student's Name
- Year Student Was in School
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the information you have found to find the person in census records
- Use the information to locate the person in civil registration and church records
- Look for possible relatives with the same last names and address
- There might be possible information on their immigration
- You can track their movements through the different schools they went to
- You can find other records through the occupations of parents or guardians
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This can help you find possible relatives
- Search for possible variations in the person's name
- The individual may be found in other records
- Search their records in nearby locations
- There's a possibility of transcription errors
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Australia.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.