Australia, New South Wales, Alphabetical Index to Newspaper Cuttings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Australia, New South Wales, Alphabetical Index to Newspaper Cuttings, 1841-1987
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|New South Wales, Australia|
|Flag of Australia|
|Location of New South Wales, Australia|
|Record Type||Index to Newspaper Cuttings|
|Greenwich Library - Local History & Genealogy|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
Most events included in the records date from approximately 1841 to 1987. Information included in the cards may predate 1841. A very few earlier records do exist.
Newspaper cuttings are pasted to cards. In some cases the information is extracted or typewritten on the cards, and these include the name of the newspaper that published the event.
In the past, ads were placed in the local newspaper to announce a birth, marriage, or death. This information was later extracted into an alphabetically filed card index. Information included in these cards is primarily for marriages and deaths, but this collection does include some births. There are a few cards with information extracted from the 1811 census. These cards came from the Thomas Mutch index, probate index, vital records, etc. Population coverage is not complete. The majority of the records are from New South Wales, but there are a few from Queensland.
This collection was created to more readily assist in locating information regarding a birth, marriage, death, obituary or other miscellaneous information about an individual that appeared in a newspaper.
For an alphabetical list of records currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Australia, New South Wales, Alphabetical Index to Newspaper Cuttings, 1841-1987.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of individuals who were born, married, or died
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of marriage
- Date and place of death
- Place of burial
- Name of spouse
- Names of children
- Names of parents
- Names of siblings
- Short biography (in case of obituaries)
- Date of arrival in Australia
- Place of residence
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select First letter of surname
- Select Principal's given name(s to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Australia, New South Wales, Alphabetical Index to Newspaper Cuttings, 1841-1987. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the age to calculate a birth year
- Look at an image of the original record. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index or transcription. To find a copy of the original record, visit the Greenwich Library - Local History & Genealogy page
- Use the calculated birth year to search for a birth record
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Consider looking in the "illegible surname" category in browse
- Consult the Australia Record Finder to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Australia, New South Wales, Alphabetical Index to Newspaper Cuttings, 1841-1987." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Greenwich Genealogical Library, Greenwich.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.