Attala County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Attala County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Attala County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||December 23 1833, 1833|
|Address|| Attala County Courthouse|
230 W Washington Street
Kosciusko, MS 39090-0000<br> Phone: 662.289.2921
Attala County Courthouse
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Obituaries
- 5.16 Occupations
- 5.17 Probate Records
- 5.18 Taxation
- 5.19 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Atala, a fictional Native American heroine from an early-19th-century novel of the same name by François-René de Chateaubriand. The County has Kosciusko as its seat and the County was created 1833. The County is located in the center area of the state.
Attala County, Mississippi Record Dates
Attala County Courthouse
230 W Washington Street
Kosciusko, MS 39090-0000
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records.
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce, probate and land records and old newspapers. 
1833--Attala County was created 23 December 1833 as part of the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Kosciusko 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1643-1947) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1858, 1860, 1896-- Some records were lost.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Mississippi Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Attala County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- 1805-1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660-1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792-1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1841 - 1841 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1845 - 1845 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1866 - 1866 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1880 - 1880 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1840 Census Index, Attala County, Mississippi USGenWeb Archives
- 1850 Census Index, Attala County, Mississippi Surame index only. USGenWeb Archives
- Attala County Index for 1850 Census, First and Last Names, Ages, Birthplace, and Census Page Numbers. (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1850 Mortality Schedule MSGenWeb Project
- 1850 Slave Schedule MSGenWeb Project
- 1860 Mortality Schedule MSGenWeb Project
- 1870 Mortality Schedule MSGenWeb Project
- Further information on the 1850 Census by township and family is available at USGenWeb Archives Scroll down to 1850 Census. Township records begin after the alphabetical index.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
- First Constitution of Doty Springs (Baptist) Church MSGenWeb Project
- 1864-1865 Attala County Descriptive Register MSGenWeb Project
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Mississippi Land Patents Database, Attala County - USGenWeb Archives
Local histories are available for Attala County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1643-1947)
- Family Maps of Attala County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1889-1942 - Mississippi, Confederate Records, 1889-1942 at FamilySearch — images
- 1892-1946 - Confederate pension and census records, 1892-1946
- 1900-1974 - Mississippi, Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1900-1974 at FamilySearch — images
- 1921-1936 - Confederate Pension Board minutes, 1921-1936
- Men from Attala served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Attala County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company F - Shipp’s Company
- - 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry [became the 48th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry]
- Company - Rocky Point Rifles, aka Rocky Point Rifle Company
- - 48th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry [from the 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry]
- Company B - Rocky Point Rifles, aka Rocky Point Rifle Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B - Attala Yellow Jackets
- Company K - Center Marksmen
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Love’s Company
- Company I - Turner’s Company
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company C - Buford’s Company
World War I
World War II
- Mississippi Index World War II Enlistees Listed by County USGenWeb Archives
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Attala County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Selected Attala County Obituaries Scroll down to Obituaries heading. USGenWeb Archives
Probate records are held by the Attala County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Attala County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1780 – 1982 Mississippi Wills and Probate Records 1780-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1781 – 1930 Mississippi Probate Records 1781-1930 at FamilySearch — images
- Attala County, Mississippi index to wills, 1860-1990
- Probate records, 1858-1934
- John B Allen Estate MSGenWeb Project
- Will of Lucy Duly USGenWeb Archives
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1835-1892 - County Tax Rolls, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- Attala County 1835 Tax List MSGenWeb Project
- Attala County 1854 Tax List, "E" Surnames MSGenWeb Project
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800-1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776-1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826-1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826-1850 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1892-1926 - Attala County Marriage Books G-O Index 1892-1926 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1892-1967 Marriage records, 1892-1951; marriage index, 1892-1967
- 1881 Attala County Marriages, December 1881 MSGenWeb Project
- 1884 Attala County Marriages, December 1884 MSGenWeb Project
- Attala County Marriage Index USGenWeb Archives
- 1884 Attala County Deaths 1884 MSGenWeb Project
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Attala Historical Society
Mary Ricks Thornton Cultural Center],
P. O. Box 127,
Kosciusko, MS 39090
Northeast Mississippi Historical & Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 434,
Tupelo, MS 38801
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Attala County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Mississippi Genealogy and History Network — Attala County
- Attala County, MSGenWeb Project
- Attala County, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Wikipedia contributors, "Attala, Mississippi," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attala_County,_Mississippi."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Attala County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.