Atlas to the Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
First published in 1837 in two volumes, with an accompanying atlas, it marked a new and significantly higher standard in such accounts of Ireland. Apart from The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland published in 1845, it has not been superseded. Images of each Irish county can be found in the accompanying Atlas.
Lewis relied on the information provided by local contributors and on the earlier works published such as Coote's Statistical Survey (1801), Taylor and Skinner's Maps of the Road of Ireland (1777), Pigot's Trade Directory (1824 and other sources. He also used the various parliamentary reports and in particular the census of 1831 and the education returns of the 1820s and early 1830s. Local contributors were given the proof sheets for final comment and revision. The names of places are those in use prior to the publication of the Ordnance Survey Atlas in 1838. Distances are in Irish miles (the statute mile is 0.62 of an Irish mile).
|Armagh Map.JPG thumb center|
|Galway Map.JPG thumb center||Tipperary Map.JPG thumb center|
|Clare Map.JPG thumb center||Mayo Map.JPG thumb center||Waterford Map.JPG thumb center|
|Cork Map.JPG thumb center||Westmeath Map.JPG thumb center|
|Donegal Map.JPG thumb center||King's Map.JPG thumb center|
|Down Map.JPG thumb center||Queen's Map.JPG thumb center||Wicklow Map.JPG thumb center|