Aston by Sutton, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Aston by Sutton, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Aston by Sutton, Cheshire|
Aston by Sutton St Peter Cheshire
|Poor Law Union||Runcorn|
|Parish registers: 1635; For more records see Runcorn|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1623|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ASTON-BY-SUTTON, is a parochial chapelry, in the parish and union of Runcorn, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, it is 1 mile (S. by W.) from Preston-Brook.
Aston by Sutton St Peter was initially a chapelry in the Ancient Parish of Runcorn and included Aston by Sutton, Aston Grange, Sutton (near Runcorn) and a small part of Dutton, becoming a parish church in its own right from 1861.
St Peter's Church, Aston-by-Sutton is in Aston Lane in the small hamlet of Aston-by-Sutton, Cheshire near to the town of Runcorn.
The first religious building in the hamlet was a chapel of ease in the parish of Runcorn built in 1236 by Sir Thomas de Dutton which was known as the chapel of Poosey (or Pooseye).
The first chapel on the site of the present church was built in the early 16th century, not later than 1542. Following this the present chancel was built in 1697 for Sir Willoughby Aston, the architect possibly being John Vanbrugh.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Aston by Sutton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Aston by Sutton Online Parish Records|
|FMP Diocese PRs||1538-1911||1538-1910||1538-1911|
|FMP Diocese BTs||1576-1906||1576-1906||1576-1906|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Cheshire Archives and Local Studies.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Aston by Stutton on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 104-108.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Richards, Raymond (1950), "The Lesser Chapels of Cheshire: The Church of St. Peter, Aston by Sutton", Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society: 115–135
- Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, ISBN 1871731232
- Starkey, H. F. (1990), Old Runcorn, Halton Borough Council